/ Beginner DSLR - Canon EOS 600D or Nikon 3200D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alan M - on 13 Jun 2013
Hi,

About to purchase my first SLR but can't decide on which model to go for. Decided on the Canon 600D or the Nikon 3200D as simply put they are only 2 cameras the local camera store has within my budget.

From what I have read and what the guy in the shop says they are evenly matched. The cost difference is £29 though the canon has an additional £30 cash back making its final price below my top budget.

So anyone have any advice on the above cameras? I'm after a good entry level camera that's easy to learn on. Also, I notice the other thread about the canon 1100 how does this rate in relation to the 600d

Thanks
xplorer on 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M:

Everyone has there favourite brands and models.

I'd have a look at a compared review and decide which features suit you best.
Alan M - on 13 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Alan M)
>
> Everyone has there favourite brands and models.
>
> I'd have a look at a compared review and decide which features suit you best.

That's one of my issues, being a beginner and new to the SLR camera scene I am not fully clued up on what the technical jargon means in the reviews or how it relates to photo quality or camera use in various settings.

Most of the reviews say D3200 is a slightly better entry level camera. To me the D3200 looked a bit plastic and didn't feel that great build quality wise. Also, every photo example I have seen comparing the two I have preferred the 600D. The problem is I don't know enough about SLRs to just buy based on that alone as I might buy the 600d and find I out grow it in 6 months where the d3200 might be a better pick etc or vice versa

dissonance - on 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M:

The most important things nowadays is to go and handle them. Have a proper play since you might find one suits you better than the other.
luke obrien - on 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M: I got a D3200 the other month. I am not a camera expert and this is my first SLR. I have been happy with the photos and its usability. The sports shooting mode is good for any dynamic shots.

I did loads of searching before buying and concluded opinion seemed to be down to brand loyalty. I'd go to shop and have a play with both of them.
xplorer on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:

We are talking features here aren't we????

Don't buy a camera on how it feels in your hand. I've handled a fair few different models and brands. And let's be honest, they all feel pretty much the same.

Buy a camera for its features and settings!!!!!
Philip on 14 Jun 2013
Nikon vs Canon is never going to end in a definitive answer.

If you have some friends who are good with cameras and probably going to give you tips / lend you lenses then buy the same brand as them.

I have canon because my mum has canon. As luck would have it so do two colleagues who are great with cameras.
Dispater on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to dissonance)
>
> We are talking features here aren't we????
>
> Don't buy a camera on how it feels in your hand. I've handled a fair few different models and brands. And let's be honest, they all feel pretty much the same.
>
> Buy a camera for its features and settings!!!!!

Utter garbage!

To the OP, FFS don't listen to this.

xplorer on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Dispater:

So you buy a camera just on the feel.

That's utter nonsense. The features and specs is why you buy anything.
Tall Clare - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Features, spec *and* how it feels. There, that should cover everything.

n.b. I speak from bitter experience - was used to my trusty metal-bodied SLRs (still going strong 20 years later) and got a Canon Eos 500N for my 21st - the features it offered were great but because of its plastic body it felt far too light, comparatively, so I ended up not using it.
Damo on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Dispater)
>
>
> That's utter nonsense. The features and specs is why you buy anything.

Utter nonsense, as you would say. Go talk to a car salesperson, or any salesperson for that matter. People make up their minds on how things look and make them feel, it's not a logical decision for almost all of the time. If your statement was true no one would ever buy a Ferrari.

We buy cameras on features, specs and how they feel in our hand - and all our hands are different so no two people feel an item the same way. Photography is not life or death and it's not even a profession for 99% of the population - it's a joy, a leisure activity, so subjective factors rank high. How it feels matter because it encourages us to use it more, to do more of something we enjoy.
dissonance - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> So you buy a camera just on the feel.
>
> That's utter nonsense. The features and specs is why you buy anything.

Apart from the OP has already noted the features and specs are pretty much like for like.
Plus feel is always key. No point having something which is all singing and dancing if the UI is unusable.
Skyfall - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Clearly you need a camera that has the features you require but, once you've narrowed it down to which cameras have those features, then you buy based on feel, ease of use, which system you think you will prefer (eg. lenses) and also cost of course.
JDal - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to dissonance:

None of the DSLR's have "unusable" UI's. That's daft. What they almost all have is configurable UI's, and for my money that makes it easy to adapt to the different layouts. If you've never used a DSLR before it's even less of an issue.

If we're talking little M4/3 cameras and very large hands, or people with some kind of disability, then that's different.

I'm with Xplorer on this, I'd be looking at stuff like whether I like the images it produces, lens line-up, low noise performance, AF speed/accuracy and system longevity. How it feels is low down on my list. YMMV.

JDal - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to JDal: Oh yes, and as Skyfall points out - cost
What Goes Up - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M: How it feels is definitely a factor for me. My hands used to cramp up around my old 450d. Phillip makes a good point above though - if you can blag loans of lenses from mates / family that can make a big difference. On the spec front, if you're new to it pretty much any DLSR will give you all you need and then some.
BStar - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M:

Hi Alan,

I though you may have probably seen enough advice now but I just wanted to put my 2p worth in. For a technical comparison, www.snapsort.com is a good website to start at. Personally, either camera will let you take good photos so long as you put the time/effort in. Looking at the specs, the Nikon looks like the image 'quality' should be better, but this doesnt mean that the Canon will have bad quality. The canon has a handy flip out screen which is a nice feature. Both will have similar seelction of lenses available, so that shouldnt be too much of a worry. Like previous people have said, go give them both a good looking over, handle them both to see which one feels nicer... and then choose the Canon.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Nikon-D3200
Skyfall - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to BStar:

lol - works for me too ;)
Arjen - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to JDal:

> I'm with Xplorer on this, I'd be looking at stuff like whether I like the images it produces, lens line-up, low noise performance, AF speed/accuracy and system longevity. How it feels is low down on my list. YMMV.

When I had to choose between Nikon and Canon, I wanted to buy a Canon dSLR (since a friend had one, and I liked his pictures), but in the shop I discovered that Canon dSLRs are very left-eyed people unfriendly, since my thumb would poke in my eye when pushing the 'exposure compensation' button. On the Nikon this button was located elsewhere, where it did not bother me - I ended up buying a Nikon D40 (even though I walked into the shop thinking to buy a 400D).

Between the D3200 and the 600D, I'd go for the Canon, just for the flip-screen. I like to photograph flowers, critters - etc, and have used the most awkward positions to frame shots well... A flip-screen really helps with creative angles...
JDal - on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Arjen:

>
> When I had to choose between Nikon and Canon, I wanted to buy a Canon dSLR (since a friend had one, and I liked his pictures), but in the shop I discovered that Canon dSLRs are very left-eyed people unfriendly, since my thumb would poke in my eye when pushing the 'exposure compensation' button. On the Nikon this button was located elsewhere, where it did not bother me - I ended up buying a Nikon D40 (even though I walked into the shop thinking to buy a 400D).

Yep - both compelling reasons. Some cams will let you reprogram the exp comp button, but you'd still be left with a button you couldn't use.
xplorer on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Damo:

Is it that hard to hold a camera? That you have to make a massive deal over how it feels in your hand. You sound like proper little divas.

Will you only pull on big comfortable jugs and leave the crimps to people with little hands.

I have bought all my cameras on the specs. Everyone is different are they not?

The op asked for advice, and I gave him my logical point of view.

Sorry if it wasn't based on how comfortable the camera is. You big girls blouse
xplorer on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Damo:

Also why wouldn't you buy a Ferrari, it's definitly better spec'd than a mini metro.

There is no logic to your point
Dispater on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Dispater)
>
> So you buy a camera just on the feel.

That is not what I said.
Dispater on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Damo)
>
> Is it that hard to hold a camera? That you have to make a massive deal over how it feels in your hand. You sound like proper little divas.
>
> Will you only pull on big comfortable jugs and leave the crimps to people with little hands.

You're the one who 'works' Severes. You tell us about pulling on jugs.

>
> I have bought all my cameras on the specs. Everyone is different are they not?
>
> The op asked for advice, and I gave him my logical point of view.
>
> Sorry if it wasn't based on how comfortable the camera is. You big girls blouse

Why do I suspect you know more about the specs of my cameras than I do?

xplorer on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Dispater:

Little upset are you?

No more camera advice?
xplorer on 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I suspect you're age on you're profile is correct then.......?

I'm guessing so!

Just like my grades........?
whiskydon - on 15 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M: A big feature with the canon 600D is the HD video. I dont know if the nikon has this.
Alan M - on 15 Jun 2013
In reply to all:

Thank you to everyone the advice is appreciated.

Been out today visited about 5 different shops asking questions and having a good play. Both cameras will easily meet my needs and then some. On paper the Nikon should be slightly better but I am 90% sure that I will be buying the Canon 600D

The things that swung it for the Canon:

1) Pull out and adjustable screen
2) To me when comparing the same image from the Canon against the Nikon I personally preferred the image produced on the 600D using the basic 18-55mm lens (I will buy additional lenses as time goes on but for now the basics will suffice - I really liked the close up shots produced by the Canon 50mm)
3) to me the video was better on the Canon
4) The Canon felt better in the hand. For me it just looks a more substantial and less plastic looking piece of kit even though the build quality of the Nikon was still very good.

Other than that I would happily buy either but I just like the Canon more after playing with them.
Dispater on 23 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Dispater)
>
> I suspect you're age on you're profile is correct then.......?
>
>
> Just like my grades........?

Your profile pic seems like pretty convincing evidence that the grades you state in your profile are entirely accurate.
For the record, I'm 45, and used to lead E2 steadily. I could knock of HVS tomorrow, and I last climbed in June 2012.

xplorer on 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Dispater:

If you're 45, you seriously need to get off the Internet and do some growing up.

I'm not impressed by what grade you climbed. Nor are the majority of climbers.

My dad is bigger than you're dad!
The Lemming - on 23 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M:
> Hi,
>
> About to purchase my first SLR but can't decide on which model to go for. Decided on the Canon 600D or the Nikon 3200D as simply put they are only 2 cameras the local camera store has within my budget.
>
>

If you have not bought your camera yet, I'd like to confuse you further and offer some advice.

Have you thought about the second-hand market such as e-bay?

Almost everybody who owns a Dslr treats it with the utmost care and possibly those selling on e-bay are trying to raise funds for an upgrade. Nowt wrong with upgrades, that's how marketing works to shift cameras. It does not always mean that the last one or two generations back are obsolete either.

You could pick up an excellent bargain if you considered second-hand. My last two camera purchases have been this way, and I will do this again with my next camera.

Any basic Dslr will, more than likely, be perfect for you no matter its age. However once you get to know your camera and eventually buy your first dedicated replacement lens you will be blown away the improved image quality.

If you have a set budget, give some thought to dropping a generation or two and invest the saved cash on the best lens that you can afford.
Bimble on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Excellent advice.
I'd go for a second-hand 40D and then, depending on budget, either one of the lower-level L series wides (17-40 F4 etc.), Tamron 18-50 2.8 (non-IS) or Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4. That way, you're still getting a decent & configurable body but also getting a lot better glass than you'd get as standard for a kit lens.
Dispater on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to Dispater)
>
> I'm not impressed by what grade you climbed. Nor are the majority of climbers.

Not an experience I foresee you ever tasting, either.

> My dad is bigger than you're dad!

I'm sure he is. Mine is in ashes scattered over Winder Hill in Sedbergh.

frqnt - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M:
Having recently sold up my Canon crop sensor setup for a Nikon full frame - the differences are negligible. Get whatever model works and feels best for you at the time and in your budget. Feel is important but itís hard to know what you prefer when youíre starting out.

I would choose features like greater viewfinder coverage, FPS rate, AF points/settings or ability to input custom user settings over gimmick (IMO) features like GPS and swivel screens. Canons are preferred by videographers Ė i.e. good HD recording.

Look at what focal length lenses you may wish to purchase in the future. i.e. I have a Nikon 16-35mm and the Canon equivalents have inferior sharpness. My next lens will be a 14mm prime and similarly, the Nikon rendition is preferable for me. Youíll change bodies as you outgrow the reduced crop sensor or as technology improves so keep that in mind as quality glass can last a long time.

Also, consider where/when you want to use it and which, if any, may be more suitable. I have a Nikon F6, D600 and Canon S100. The F6 is the don of cameras but it wonít be coming to the Remarkables with me.

I would def. recommend considering a used model, Iíve bought plenty of gear from these guys if you want a warranty; http://www.apertureuk.com/
Bimble on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Don't forget though, DSLR video is quite a tricky beast to get used to (Magic Lantern is a godsend though), and will require even more expenditure to get the most out of it with follow-focus rigs, external mic, shoulder mount etc.
xplorer on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Dispater:

I see you have some issue surrounding your climbing, maybe you don't even climb any more, and you're a little upset about that. I'll leave you to the childish grade talk anyway, how many people have you impressed? None!
filip.kamycki - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M:

I have a pentax K20D with a bag, memory card and plenty of other gizmos to sell :)

email for the details if you wish, really solid, water resistant body, 18-55 mk. 2 lens and a 50mm 1.4. all in great condition
Bimble on 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Alan M:

60D may well go down in price soon too, there's a 70D coming out that looks like it may replace it http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/canon70Dspec.jpg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.