/ Heading to Ireland and Wales, advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jrenee - on 19 Jun 2013
I've never been to either destination, so does anyone have advice for someone who loves anything outdoors? I'll be there July 9-20...
Thanks!!
In reply to jrenee:

> so does anyone have advice...?

Be a bit more specific in your questions.

Seriously - where in Wales and Ireland are going and what do you want to do there?
Zumoid on 19 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee:

I would recommend Sligo in Ireland - a somewhat hidden treasure in a country where everyone has been to either Dublin, Cork or Galway (although don't get me wrong, those cities are wonderful too).

Sligo Town/City (somewhat of a debate) is fairly unremarkable but the landscape to the north, running up into Donegal is some of the most spectacular in Europe, albeit I may be somewhat biased growing up there and all.

If you are after some rock-climbing, Donegal is the county to be in, but if you want a spectacular hike (and you are somewhat experienced), I would highly recommend Benbulben. The mountain itself isn't very high, but there isn't a well-maintained path and it can be pretty peaty on the plateau (try saying that after a shot or two of poteen)! Interestingly, there are also some abandoned mines up there too, which are largely untouched and somewhat hidden away. You can reach them by following the rusty cables from Glencar Lake.

The history of Sligo and its surrounding scenery is really fascinating, as every hill and mountain has a Celtic legend attached to it.

Or, if you really want to, you could go and hunt down "Craggy Island", or at least Craggy House. I've not been there but I know you can go and get your picture taken outside it :P
Mark Edwards - on 19 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee:

Try and plot a course that takes you through Brecon. From there head to Milford Haven and catch a ferry to Rosslare, Then head to as far in the SW of Ireland as you can get (there used to be a really nice guest house in Crookhaven). From there head towards Shannon going the long way around the Ring of Kerry which seems like nature as designed by Walt Disney. Then head towards Dublin and any pub on the Liffey where you are sure to make some new friends.
dylan_the_fox - on 20 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee:

Another vote for Donegal here - although one word of warning about Ireland - hillwalkers aren't always tolerated as well as they are in the UK. However, a friendly and flexible attitude goes a long way to smooth over any problems you might encounter with angry farmers!

I've always found the south-west of Ireland a little "touristy" although there's no doubt that the mountains are some of the most spectacular and varied in the country.

cyberpunk - on 20 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee: In Ireland the best climbing areas are 1,Fairhead 2, Burren 3, Mournes 4,Glendalough. If you get to any of these then you are set.
L.A. on 20 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee: Remember to take passport if flying to S Ireland !
goatee - on 21 Jun 2013
In reply to cyberpunk: The best ones that you know of, obviously.
jrenee - on 21 Jun 2013
My apologies for the lack of information.
I'll be staying in Clonmel, but of course, can travel.... is there anything to do in Limerick? I will research all of the destinations above, thank you!
Mark Morris - on 21 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee: Clonmel is pretty much in the middle of Eire, so . A word of warning, going any distance seems to take ages, so plan your time carefully.

A trip over to County Clare, the Burren and Cliffs of Moher is well worth it, and find the village of Doolin there for a pint. There is also so good climbing to be had there.

Where about in Wales you headed?
jrenee - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

Where in Wales am I headed? I don't know yet. I used to be addicted to climbing, but now am more broad minded - and open to other outdoor sports (still not interested in site-seeing or pubs or museums, though).

Do you have Welsh recommendations? I only know that I love the language, and I used to own a Welsh terrier, and she was the best.
jrenee - on 27 Jun 2013
Alright, after all my research, it looks like Mr. Edwards is the winner.
My plan is: Clonmel --> Limerick --> Brecon --> Rosslare and ferry it over to Milford Haven.

Ideas for Wales?

Thanks in advance!
mountain.martin - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee:

Pembrokeshire is lovely and well worth a visit but as far as I'm aware there isn't a ferry going from Milford Haven. The Ferry departs from Pembroke Dock, which is only a few miles away as the crow flies, on the other side of the estuary, but it is 8 miles by road and not easy or quick by public transport.
Ronan O Keeffe on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee:
If you're staying in clonmel you are close to three mountain ranges. The Comeraghs, the Knockmealdowns and the Galtees.
From a hiking point of view the Comeraghs or Galtees are your best bet. Coumshingaun (Comeraghs) is a must visit regardless. It also contains the best climbing in the South East, in one of the most atmospheric locations you'll find anywhere.

Look out for Ailadie in the Burren, its also a standout crag.
Plenty of info here regards climbing.

http://wiki.climbing.ie/index.php/Irish_Climbing_Route_Database

Look at counties Waterford and Clare.
ads.ukclimbing.com
GrahamD - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to jrenee:

Wales is a big area with lots to see and do just about everywhere. For Hills, the best are in Snowdonia in the North, with excellent walking/scrambling/climbing.

There are quiet rural hilly areas throughout mid wales where you can really get away from it all.

On west coast you have miles of premium beaches, as on the south coast on the Gower and Pembrokshire (along with the climbing there)

All in all, you can stick a pin in the map and you are unlikely to be dissapointed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.