Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Resistance on a wet road.

ablackett - on 23 Jun 2013
A friend of mine took about 5% off his Strava time on a "half climb, half flat ish" segment last week, on about his 10th attempt, he has had marginal gains over the previous attempts.

5% was a huge leap forward and gave him the KOM (out of 1500), on Ullswater Matterdale climb segment, so he isn't some punter who has just got his cadence/pacing right for the first time.

The only thing that was different was the road was wet, but it wasn't raining.

My theory is that a wet road = higher humidity, water vapour has a molecular mass of 19, air has a molecular mass of 29, so an increase in humidity could significantly reduce air resistance. But it would also reduce your aerobic capacity because you get less O2 in every lungfull, it's not obvious to me which effect would be stronger.

This chap thinks it is about rolling resistance and the water filling in the gaps.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2007/06/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-r...

Lance thought wet road = quick times.

Another chap I read about reckoned he could hit a baseball 5-10% further when it was foggy.

Thoughts? Anyone want to get out and try it today?
... not showing 19 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums