Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Guiding aspirations - but not the usual...

stratfol - on 26 Jun 2013
Hi guys,

So I've been alpine climbing for a good few years now (don't bother with my log on UKC, haven't updated it in years), and I'm not too far off the pre-requirements to apply for the IFMGA scheme (thinking ENSA, not BMG as I don't live in the UK and moving to France in a month!). Thinking of a career change since alpinism has been the only constant in my life for quite a while. I find myself in a position of reasonable alpine experience and almost zero commitments at the moment. For background, I've been working in the outdoor industry for about 6 years and 'guiding' friends informally (unpaid and well within my experience of course).

I'm wondering about potential work as a Guide beyond bringing climbers and skiers on recreational tours. In other words, as a technical advisor or Guide on purposeful trips such as working with scientific expeditions in the arctic/antarctic, and guiding laypeople (as in, non-climbers) on mountainous terrain outside of the usual recreational sphere most Guides seem to work in.

I'm wondering, how much work is out there of this nature for UIAGM guides? An example might be say, a team of geologists getting to a remote location in the antarctic or perhaps glaciologists/surveyors bringing equipment to high mountain locations such as was done in Nepal on a peak-measuring trip a number of years ago.

Any thoughts?
Thank you!
... not showing 5 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums