/ Plantet X Carbon bike - are tubs really suitable for amateurs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
FrankBooth - on 26 Jun 2013
I spotted this road bike on the Planet X site - amazing value (carbon bike with carbon rim wheels for 1300) http://bit.ly/10kIN5x

I was quite tempted until I realised the tyres are tubs rather than standard clinchers. I'd be interested to hear the opinion of more experienced riders as to the practicalities of carrying around spare tyres and glue and making road-side repairs.

I'd quite like to get a new bike for around this price point, but I also recognise that as a bimbling Sunday punter, the benefits don't necessarily outweigh the extra faff.
PeterM - on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

Buy it and change the wheels for something you already have, and maybe sell the carbon tubs? Seems a very good deal indeed. You could also call and ask if they'll swap the wheels. I've heard, not dealt with directly mind, that PX are quite good chaps. Personally I'd avoid tubs for the same reasons as you.
Escher - on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to FrankBooth: An interesting discussion re: tubs here:- http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12926960&hilit=tubs though personally I'd go with the advice above, see if PX will swap for clinchers
JLS on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

>"as a bimbling Sunday punter, the benefits don't necessarily outweigh the extra faff"

Exaclty.

These days, tubs are for racing (to win) only. In the old days they were used a lot more for training as the alternaitives were pretty rubbish. i.e. 27x1.25 steel wheels or crap soft 700c rims that buckled at sight of a pebble, with tyres that wore out in no time.

Even if I were to race again, I'd not bother with tubs. Unless you're vying for race wins the performace gains aren't worth the hassles with glue and the expense of replacing tubs (a new tube is much cheaper).

Like others have said, even adding any costs associated with "swapping" wheels, it's still a good value bike.
Enty - on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Escher:
> (In reply to FrankBooth) An interesting discussion re: tubs here:- http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12926960&hilit=tubs though personally I'd go with the advice above, see if PX will swap for clinchers

Wow what a thread - just like UKC with wankers, bad advice, good advice and arguments over feck all ;-)

Anyhow - that bike looks good for the money. problem is with deals like that on Planet X they never have it in stock when you click to buy.

Just done 100km training ride on my best bike (on tubs) because the sun was shining, the roads were dry and my training bike was dirty. No probs.

Been riding tubs for 10 years now and I've had about 8 punctures - yes it's an almighty pain in the arse (and expensive) when you do but I can live with 0.8 punctures per season.

E
JLS on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Enty:

>"Been riding tubs for 10 years now and I've had about 8 punctures"

But not withstanding, surely you'd not recommend them for a general run-around bike?

Can you still feel a noticable diffrence between your tubs and good set of wired-ons? I know I could ten years ago but I sort of imagined the diffrence isn't so great anymore. I'm wondering if I'm missing something as for convience I put good wired-ons on my new track bike. I try to hang-on to the back of low catagory track league races at our new velodrome but you know how it is, anything that makes the hanging on less painful is always going to be of intrest...
Hat Dude on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

The deal isn't quite as good as it looks; that wheel set is on offer to buy separately at 369.99. The standard Planet X Pro Carbon with Rival group set is 999.99 with a cheapish FSA wheel set.

IMO They offer very good value; I got one earlier this year & swapped the better wheels from my old bike.

I'd suggest that if you wanted a PX Pro Carbon, you could buy the standard one, flog the ones that came with the bike and put the money towards some clincher wheels that you like.
Siward on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Hat Dude: Uh? The deal is at 1299, not 999, and includes the carbon wheels, no?

FrankBooth - on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to Hat Dude:
> (In reply to FrankBooth)
>
> The deal isn't quite as good as it looks; that wheel set is on offer to buy separately at 369.99. The standard Planet X Pro Carbon with Rival group set is 999.99 with a cheapish FSA wheel set.

Ah, well spotted - tbh after reading up a bit more (and reading the responses here), I turned my eye instead to the next frame up (I think) which is their RT-57 model http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT57RIV/planet_x_rt_57_sram_rival_carbon_road_bike

FSA RD-60's seemed like a reasonable compromise (clearly not as slick as the carbon ones, but probably a lot more practical)
ads.ukclimbing.com
Enty - on 26 Jun 2013
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> >"Been riding tubs for 10 years now and I've had about 8 punctures"
>
> But not withstanding, surely you'd not recommend them for a general run-around bike?
>
I sort of run around on my race bike when I'm not supposed to. can't help it I love it.

> Can you still feel a noticable diffrence between your tubs and good set of wired-ons?

I don't think it's the tubs as such, it's the fact that they are glued to a pair of Campag Boras which are amazing.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.