/ Portland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Orkita - on 27 Jun 2013
Hi there! I will be climbing in Portland this weekend and I'd love go there regularly. I need some tip. Where is the best place to park my van and be quiet?? ( not pólice, may be more climbers, bleblebla) and where is the bar after climbing?? :P thanks
Boogs on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Orkita:

Hi Orkita I would suggest The Cove House Inn at the bottom of Portland is a good pub after a days climbing , great views and a nice way to finish the day .

As for parking for Blacknor South & Central there is a pay and display car park ( 50p ) if you drive through the housing estate opposite the co-op on Weston Road , follow the signs for car park / walkers / climbers .

Blacknor North and far North most climbers park on Wide St on the road then walk down the bumpy footpath with the White Church on your right if you are face out to Black Nor Cliffs .

On the other side by Cheyne weares there are a couple of car parks on Southwell Road and a large car park at the end of Portland Bill road .

For the Cuttings area ( The Bower & New Cuttings ) I usually park on Pennsylvannia Rd and walk along the path running parralel with the dusty quarry track . Its close to a bus stop at a bridge at the end of terraced houses .There are other places to park and to climb but these will get you started and help you to get your bearings .

http://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_area.html?id=5

Have fun .

Leon
Orkita - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Boogs: aaaaaaaaww!!!! thanks thanks thanks Leon!!!
:)
And just a last question (sorry Im soo greedy). Do you think I can sleep in those parking without problem??
Boogs on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Orkita:

I would be careful if you do , I'm not sure what the situation is really especially in the pay & display car parks , I would ask other climbers when you are there .

I wouldn't risk staying in a car park over night but I think you maybe okay on quieter roads . I think maybe in places off road up near the Portland Heights Hotels could be worth a look but not sure how strict the policing for the overnight parking is .

There a few campsites close by I think Orkita , which maybe better than risking a knock on at 3am . ?
Orkita - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Boogs:
OK, again thanks a lot¡¡ I will see ones I'll be in the área, but what the life is without some silly risks? ;)
ads.ukclimbing.com
silhouette - on 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Orkita:
> ... but what the life is without some silly risks? ;)

that's not the point though. It's not you who is taking a "risk". Portland has thousands of inhabitants. The "risk" is that the perfectly decent people of Portland get p*ssed off with climbers dossing in their community and become hostile to climbers, as has happened in other places such as Osp.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.