/ Toproping venues near Dumfries?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daniel Heath - on 27 Jun 2013
Taking a military group, staying near Castle Douglas this summer.

Any crag recommendations much appreciated. (average grade of HS is best)

Thanks!
Dan
Daniel Heath - on 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath:

Cheeky bump
machars on 29 Jun 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath: clifton near Dalbeattie is probably your best option although the thirlstane is also a good spot.
hedgehog77 - on 29 Jun 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath: why Dumfries? There's better single grags in the central belt
Daniel Heath - on 29 Jun 2013
In reply to hedgehog77:

Probably to do with how easy to get the accommodation.

I've just been asked to instruct on it.
Daniel Heath - on 29 Jun 2013
In reply to machars:

Thanks
machars on 29 Jun 2013
In reply to hedgehog77:
> (In reply to Daniel Heath) why Dumfries? There's better single grags in the central belt

Debatable!! :-)
Jamie B - on 30 Jun 2013
In reply to machars:

Clifton trumps any Central Belt venue for my money - good rock (granite) and a pleasant outlook. However the OP does need to consider group issues - the rather malevolent-looking bull that used to live in the field you have to cross being one of these...
machars on 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B: Haven't seen bull about for a few years now. Just young curious bullocks which won't do you any harm- probably.
Andes - on 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath:
Clifton is very good, top quality climbing and as Jamie B says better than anything in the central belt.
However, while bits of the crag, especially the north end, are OK for top-roping many areas are not good for top-roping (diagonal lines, too many trees etc.). No bull in the field for many years.
Another option is Powillimont - not such good rock and not so much climbing, but a nice friendly area to work with a group - beach and barbecues!
My website will probably be useful for you
http://www.johnbiggar.com/galloway-climbing-index.asp
John Biggar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.