/ Eridge Green in condition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RobertHepburn - on 12 Jul 2013
Does anyone know if Eridge Green is in condition for bouldering at the moment? I know it is one of the last southern sandstone crags to dry, but all this hot weather should have helped?
RobertHepburn - on 16 Jul 2013
So I went anyway, and some bits are ok, but other bits have dried slime on the holds and there is lots of sand on everything too. Not as good as I thought it would be, but getting there.
CurlyStevo - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to RobertHepburn:
dried slime and sand is about as good as it gets its not suddenly likely to improve much beyond this unless someone cleans the crag up.
Matt250 on 16 Jul 2013
I was going to go to Bulls Hollow tonight but I'm guessing it might be similar. What's the best way of cleaning this kind of stuff off sandstone routes? Obviously I dont want to damage the rock. Is a soft brush alright?
i.munro - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Dunno I was bouldering at high at the weekend & even some of the (normally) quick drying
stuff was still seeping.
It rained a lot last year !
In reply to i.munro:
The OP didn't mention wet seepage though did he.
In reply to i.munro:
"Even some of the (normally) quick drying stuff was still seeping."

Interestingly I asked on FB if high rocks was dry 8 days ago, I got one post back that day saying it was dry 3 days before my post but was "doing that horrible sandstone "sweating" thing where moisture seems to be drawn out from the rock", I pointed out most people call this damp rock which isn't suprising seeing it rained 2-3 days prior to the poster going (but hasn't rained since then) and also climbing damp rock can damage it. I got another post back from someone else just saying "its dry". Both very experienced climbers.

PS I believe you!
i.munro - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Depends on the question I think. Only the very bottom metre or so seemed still to be seeping
so looked dry for route climbing but a lot of bouldering still seeping.
ads.ukclimbing.com
gingerwolf - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to RobertHepburn: Eridge is fairly decent at present

It just needs some traffic! I was there this evening and the only one on the crag!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.