/ Dartmoor ground conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bimble on 15 Jul 2013
I'm making the long-ish drive down this week, treating the missus to a couple of nights on the moors for her birthday (I'm romantic like that). Just wondering if anyone knows what the ground conditions are like, especially around Postbridge/Fernworthy Forest? It makes it easier knowing what kit to bring!

Cheers
CurlyStevo - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:
It was pretty dry just over 2 weeks ago (sheeps tor, ivy bridge and dewerstone areas), it will be very dry now. I guess that is to be expected though after the recent very hot dry spell.
TMM - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

Firm and dry around the East Dart. No need for gaiters. Ticks still a problem and it won't be long before fires are a concern.

Depending on the strength of your ankles and the weight in your pack I would be switching to running shoes.
Bimble on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to TMM:

Thanks :) It'll be lightweight boots now then, I didn't know how long it stayed boggy for.
Toby S - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

This is good info! I'm heading down from Inverness on Wednesday :-)
In reply to Toby S:
The ticks are really bad this year (well they were on dewerstone / sheeps tor not sure which one I picked them up from)
grump gnome - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: Bring plenty of midge repellent. The little buggers are out in force! Ground is very dry.
In reply to grump gnome:
didn't see any to speak off on sheeps tor or dewerstone 2 weeks ago but they were bad on the campsite in the ivybridge area.
Toby S - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks for that, the little sods seem to love crawling over me and I come out in a rash even if they don't latch on! I'll take plenty of anti-histamine with me.
TMM - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Lots of ticks on the Eastern side of the moor.

I seem to be removing them from the dog and cat daily. I would recommend putting a tick hook into your first aid kit.
Bimble on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

Will spray my legs well then.

It may be a bit of a daft question, but will the streams/small rivers still be running after the prolonged dry spell? I don't want to find out there's no drinking water at the end of a long day's walk!
La Shamster on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

If you are wearing trainers be vigilant for adders especially in low lying gorse clusters and long wavy dry grass. A friend of mine was bitten last summer on the moor xc running in trainers.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Wainers44 - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: water levels are pretty low now. I crossed the E Dart on the north to south run at Sandy Hole pass a week ago and the water was struggling to trickle past the dead sheep wedged between the boulders!!
The water supply over near Teignhead Farm (good wild campsite) is pretty reliable, watch out if taking any leat water at the moment as they are all well down.

Ticks are bad too. I had my very first one ever last weekend.

I'll be camping further west on sat night so lets hope there is enough breeze to keep the midges off!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.