/ Evans or Cycle Surgery?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antigua - on 15 Jul 2013
If both these retailers where equally convenient which would you buy your new bike from?
Neither are doing anything special i.e discounts or offers on new bikes.
Cheers
highclimber - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Antigua: Neither, go to your local independent bikeshop (LBS) and support a family business, not a bunch of shareholders with monkeys for staff.
Antigua - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to highclimber:

What if no LBS does the bike make you want?
highclimber - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Antigua: What bike is it?
kevin stephens - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Antigua:
> (In reply to highclimber)
>
> What if no LBS does the bike make you want?
A good LBS will supply the bike you REALLY want but don't know it yet based on your body, cycling, aspirations, style and budget (rather than advertising hype)
Antigua - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to highclimber:

Moda Intro for my sister.
Luke90 on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to highclimber:
> Neither, go to your local independent bikeshop (LBS) and support a family business, not a bunch of shareholders with monkeys for staff.

I agree with some elements of that sentiment but to be fair to my local Cycle Surgery, the service is always really good. It's exactly the kind of thoughtful, helpful and skilled treatment I would hope to get from the kind of LBS everyone romanticises but which I've never actually found.
Antigua - on 15 Jul 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:

This bike is for my sister who has been borrowing one. Unfortunately she lives in the sticks but is likely to move within the next 12 moths. A LBS kept trying to sell her something else but she wants what she wants not what the LBS needs to get rid of. Have to say not not all LBS are fantastic.
Chains might be rubbish but for the not so confident buyer they're an easy option.
krazykid009 - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to highclimber: Actually find this quite offensive, seeing as I myself work for Evans. With a full Cytech Level 2 qualification, having ridden bikes of some sort since before I could walk properly and currently riding 7 bikes, racing in most disciplines and being thoroughly involved in video making and photography in all disciplines, I feel I am more than capable in helping a customer with any purchase.

What you have to look at is not the guys up top, but the managers at a store level. Ours is a friendly guy, who generally will do anything to help out a customer, as will all of the rest of the staff (Except one sales assistant, but he's a bit of an arse from a high pressure sales background!)

Just because we as a business are much larger than most and run profits higher as a result, does not mean we are any less capable as a LBS. In fact, a lot of the time our buying power means we can get bikes much more easily for a customer, and at a cheaper price, than an independent. i'm not sure about your local, but I dont know of any around here that can get any one of 3500 bikes we stock into store for you to try within 3 days...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking independents, but often the staff in the larger stores have history in independents, and vice versa.
kevin stephens - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to krazykid009:
I would be great if all Evans staff were like you. When I bought my Specialized Epic from my local Evans and asked about setting the forks up for me, his response was to give me the Fox CDROM and told me to follow the instructions on it
krazykid009 - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: Whilst I cannot claim to know every member of staff in the company, nor will I defend what I do no know, our store does pride ourself on having very high feedback rates, and we all do our best to help wherever we can. Being riders ourselves, we also know exactly where people are coming from when there is a problem.

Unfortunately most of the independents in our area are closing down, we had 3 go last month alone!

Although that response from the staff member was pretty bad, at the very least if he didn't know, he should have immediately passed you onto someone with experience and training in mountain bike setup in store!
balmybaldwin - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to krazykid009:

They may be able to source almost any bike, and are good if you need something last minute but giving a level of service that you would expect for a very high end bike does seem to be somewhat beyond them in my experience. When I spend the money I did on a bike, I don't expect to be without a bike whilst it's in the shop for 3 weeks getting a warranty repair for example. (It's been in for 2 of these 3 week warranty repairs in 9 months)

I only bought my MTB from Evans because my LBS couldn't source one for me, most of my other custom goes to the LBS (repairs, accessories etc), despite not buying the bike from them, my LBS lent me a Shop Demo for 2 weeks whilst Evans faffed about - that is service (and why I go to them for almost everything)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.