/ Another Which Carbon Bike about 1k Thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
steelbru - on 16 Jul 2013
Looking to get my first decent road bike, read the recent thread with interest.

Think I've narrowed it down to the Boardman Team Carbon http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team_carbon.html which with 2 lots of 10% discounts I can get reduced from 1300 to 1053, or Kona Zing Supreme http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=95410 which is reduced from 2k to 1070

Both are Shimano 105 and Mavic Aksium wheels, but I don't know a great deal about the finer points of componentry.

Any obvious better buy between those 2 ?

ps I actually like the look of the Kona more, won't be the over-riding factor, but if all else was equal..........
andymac - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru:

Know its not always a good idea ,but maybe have a look at some reviews of the Kona.

Kona is half price ,which is good.but why is it half price.

I would say you cant go wrong with either.

And the Kona even has an Ultegra rear derailleur. bonus points.
andymac - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru:

the Kona is also Dogma esque in appearance
John Rushby - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru:

Cycling Weekly did a good report on 1k bikes about 6 months ago. Not all were carbon but it had a few on there. A search of their website should find it.

Don't forget Planet X - they have some good deals from time to time.
FrankBooth - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru:
Having just bought the Boardman a couple of weeks ago, I can testify that it's worth the money, once it's set up correctly. Check it thoroughly before taking out for the first time as the staff at Halford's aren't the best at putting things together. Mine had a loose headset (they hadn't tightened the larger hex bolt inside); loose handlebars (again, bolts not tightened) and the gears were poorly indexed.
I narrowed my search down to the Boardman; Wiggle's Basso (Laguna or Loto); or one of Planet X's offerings. My top budget was 1200.
steelbru - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru:
Thanks to those that replied - been out and got the Boardman this morning :-), plus got 105 pedals for only 35 ( LBS matching Wiggle ) so all good to go !

SO do I head out, or watch the mountain TT .........?
quirky - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru: head out!!! Every time!!
rallymania - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to andymac:
> (In reply to steelbru)
>
> Know its not always a good idea ,but maybe have a look at some reviews of the Kona.
>
> Kona is half price ,which is good.but why is it half price.

2012 model

would have gone for that myself :-)
>
> I would say you cant go wrong with either.
>
> And the Kona even has an Ultegra rear derailleur. bonus points.

bonus!
sagetheowl - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to John Rushby:
My brother went to Planet X for his bike on Cyclescheme, it was about 1k and he loves it!
ads.ukclimbing.com
Henry Iddon - on 18 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru:

Have a look at Flandria

http://flandriabikes.com

think different and all that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.