/ interview with a Shard climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
toad - on 16 Jul 2013
jon on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to toad:

This is from the comments:

> Finally someone makes a stand for Nuclear power. The world needs to know that drilling needs to end and Nuclear power is the best way to stop it. Well done!

Tongue in cheek or not, yesterday Greenpeace activists got into the Tricastin nuclear power station in France and performed similar stunt.
jkarran - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to toad:

> From the Guardian: "Henry's legs are still mottled with bruises from the climb"

Those are bruises? Christ, I thought it was a pretty cool Giraffe pattern tattoo!

jk
callwild - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to jkarran: those are definitely not bruises in the photo.
more likely to be these
http://www.tightsplease.co.uk/brands/pamela-mann/natural-small-leopard-print-tights/?gclid=COW_ruTus...
krikoman - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to callwild: yum!!
Rob Parsons on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to toad:

Purely on the climbing aspect: I don't understand why it took them so long to get to the top, given that there seems to be a ladder all the way up.
knthrak1982 on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:

From the article:
"She's waiting to start her first indoor climbing session since scaling the tallest building in London, which seems ridiculously easy in comparison."

They must have some ladders at mile end too.
woody0606 on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to toad: Anyone know how they climbed it? Were they aiding or free climbing or a combination. And what protection did they use. I have so many questions that the mainstream media aren't asking...
knthrak1982 on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to woody0606:

They started from the roof of the railway station to avoid the tricky first move. It's still yet to be attempted from a sit down start.
Rob Parsons on 16 Jul 2013
jon on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Rob Parsons:

No wonder it took them all day.
Kimono - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to jon:
when you're after media coverage, then i suspect that taking all day is pretty much the general idea
stroppygob - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to toad:
It's been interesting that a lot of the focus has been on us, rather than why we did it. I'm happy that the news story is quite tight, the fact that Shell is in the shadow of the Shard. But it all goes back to this idea, for me especially, of what's happening in the Arctic. When you hear about things like that you do feel like you just want to rush there in person and stop it."

Oh grow up.
Tony the Blade on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

>
> Oh grow up.

haha, such a wonderful stimulus for debate.

Oh grow up.
stroppygob - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to toad: Well I hope they used Hemp ropes, and wooden helmets, and walked to the shard.....

...they wouldn't want to be hypocritical.....
Rob Parsons on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Kimono:

> when you're after media coverage, then i suspect that taking all day is pretty much the general idea

But in this case, the fact that they took so long to do the 'climb' meant that they didn't have time to unfurl the big banner they'd carried up - which was supposed to be the grand finale. (They did unfurl a smaller one.)
muppetfilter - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to toad: I have to laugh, a mate is currently steel fixing on there and it only takes them 15mins to get to the top by lift.
I sure hope they actually have some solid ways to "Save the Arctic" as they don't seem to have any in the article.
Jonny2vests - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:

Yeah, but.... That's using a lift. Or am I missing something?
dissonance - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to toad)
>
> This is from the comments:

own up. Who is froginthebog?

jon on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to dissonance:

Ha, yes I wonder. Someone from here evidently!
stroppygob - on 15 Aug 2013
In reply to toad:

An alleged Greenpeace protester accused of climbing London's Shard has been charged with aggravated trespass.

Alison Garrigan, 27, of Greater Manchester is due before Camberwell Magistrates' Court on 29 August.

Five other women who took part in the 16-hour ascent of the 1,016ft high (310m) building, admitted aggravated trespass and were cautioned.

The group scaled the 87-storey building in July in protest against Arctic oil drilling.

They evaded security guards to begin their climb in the early morning, saying the protest was intended to put Shell and other oil companies in the spotlight and they live-streamed the stunt using head cameras

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23717554
Steve nevers on 16 Aug 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to jon)
> [...]
>
> own up. Who is froginthebog?

Brilliant.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.