Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Sanitised MTB routes in the peak

dondon - on 16 Jul 2013
Chapel gate, Stanage causeway, bits of Houndkirk road, Bradley lane between Pilsley and Hassop, Mill lane between Stoney Middleton and Eyam, and now the track leading down from the big quarry on Longstone Edge into Rowland (mentioned in the White Peak MTB guide as one of the best 10 downhills in the White Peak) have been turned into tarmac or flat gravel tracks in the last couple of years.

Whilst I appreciate that damage has accumulated over the years and does need management, the character of many of these routes has been significantly degraded, at least in my (by no means hard-core MTB) opinion.

Is there no way of improving these tracks - some of which were admittedly practically unrideable in sections (but that's part of the fun...) - which doesn't completely sanitise them? Are there any MTB groups which talk to the Peak Park authorities to ask them to perhaps resurface them with slightly less zeal? Are there any more gems soon to be taken from us?

... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums