/ cross country skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flat4matt - on 16 Jul 2013
The time has come to book our skiing trip for next january. We normally head to the alps but are thinking of other places in and out of europe. I had a go at cross country skiing years a go and although hardwork it was, I loved it but never returned to have a proper crack at it.
The question I'm wanting to know is, there do you think it would be the most cost effective place to learn cross country skiing?
Cheers
Matt
IainRUK - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: I have only done it in the Harz region.. loads of trails to go on. 25 euros for a days hire.. no other costs..

XC is cheap. The Harz isn't great downhill skiing but great for undulating forest trails, well sign posted, and pretty cheap hotels so fine for XC.
IainRUK - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Sorry of central germany..
AlanLittle - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Bayerische Wald in northeastern Bavaria is very beautiful, has vast network of Xc ski trails, and is much cheaper than the Alps.

Reit im Winkl and Bayrischzell are the main XC ski centres in the Bavarian Alps but have alpine prices.
Doug on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: Jura is pretty good, I think my favourite would be Val Clarée or the Queyras but thats largely as they are also good for ski touring together with some downhill in the Queyras

Plenty of options in Norway but expensive
dpm23 - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: Have a look at the Czech Republic.

http://www.czechtourism.com/s/jizerske-hory-cross-country-route/

Skied there once couple of years back, it had lots of trails and I remember it as being quite economical.
IainRUK - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to dpm23: Not sure where that is but I head to the Polish/czech border a fair bit.. krkonose area. Only popped into CR a few times but Poland is cheap. Its essentially one long ridge, but seems more technical than the harz and less groomed.
altirando - on 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt: I would agree with Doug but add the Vercors - Villard, and the Bauges, above Aix les Bains.
In reply to Flat4matt: The good thing about XC is there's very little to learn, you can do and learn at the same time. The Finnish and Swedish Lapland ski resorts normally have hundreds of kms of top quality trails and reliable snow.
Misha - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:
Bessans in France is a good area with plenty of trails and reasonably priced accommodation. Hire and lessons are average for the Alps I guess. I've never taken lessons as I've done XC from a young age (not that I'm any good at it!) but I'd say you don't need many lessons to get to grips with it, especially if you can already do downhill.
bobmalaria - on 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:
The best place I know is Seefeld in Austria! 297km of slopes should do I guess http://www.seefeld.com/en/aktivitaeten/winter/langlauf-biathlon . My dad is a passionate XC-skier and this was always his favorite place to got.

Downside, it is not the cheapest place to be, but I guess you can score good deals when you go after 5./6. January when holidays in Germany have ended.
Flat4matt - on 20 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Cheers guys! Thanks for the tips! Havent booked anything yet but its given us food for thought!
Cheers
Matt
ads.ukclimbing.com
Orgsm on 20 Jul 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:

Obergesteln in Switzerland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.