/ Hilleberg Nallo 2 Leaking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rob514 - on 18 Aug 2013
I bought a Hilleburg Nallo 2 for a week of travelling around the lakes in June. All was good until the second night in which we experienced the usual lake's weather (sustained rainfall). Unfortunately the flysheet developed a leak from the top of the rear hoop (if that makes any sense) creating a drip every 30secs or so falling onto the area of the top triangle vent on the inner, which luckily we could zip up and keep us dry through the night.

My question is has anyone had any similar experiences? Is it likely to be a faulty fly maybe? I know these tents aren't taped sealed as they are double stitched but I thought they would be hold the water out better than this. Its only leaking from this one place after a sustained soaking. I spoke to the dealer and Scottish Mountain Gear they both suggested a smothering of seam grip on the leaky seam but after spending so much on a mountain tent I thought I wouldn't need to.

Cheers all.
Hay - on 18 Aug 2013
In reply to rob514:
Where did you buy it Rob?
biped - on 18 Aug 2013
In reply to rob514:

Hi, it might be worth contacting Hilleberg directly to see what they say. Their tents are top drawer and not cheap and as such I'd expect that they won't give you the runaround.

FWIW, I had an Akto which I seam sealed and I have a Nallo 3GT which I haven't seam sealed and have had no leakage issues, including a couple of incessantly piss wet weekends in the Lakes and Scotland.

Good luck.
rob514 - on 19 Aug 2013
In reply to Hay:

I bought it at Taunton Leisure Hay, who have been very good about the issue and have either suggested dropping it back to them to send to Hilleburg (Scottish Mountain Gear I guess for a look) or just use some seam grip in the area its leaking. Although it makes sense to probably just seam grip the seam its just I would have expected a tent of this cost to hold the water out and if others havent had any problems I'll probably send it back.
xplorer on 19 Aug 2013
In reply to rob514:

Are the seams taped?

Most lightweight tents don't have taped seems, because of the materials.

Some companies advise you seam sealing them yourself.
r0x0r.wolfo - on 19 Aug 2013
No, it shouldn't leak. Send it back.
KellyKettle - on 19 Aug 2013
In reply to rob514: If the seams are untaped its reasonable for it to leak a tiny bit, especially where the shape is most awkward (difficult to get sufficient tension on the stiches to make the seam waterproof by mechanical interface alone) and the manufacturers usually provide seamgrip free of charge for just this reason (certainly Crux did for me).

IMO this is part of the compromise you accept when buying products designed to be lightweight, if it was leaking everywhere it would be different.
Pem - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to rob514: Hi, i have had numerous Hillebergs and they all have four layer lap felled seams and should never leak, the fly is coated with silicone and cant be taped, i would send it back, Hilleberg stand by their tents.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.