ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Mental training: climbing better, if not harder

Jon Stewart - on 19 Aug 2013
I haven't seen a thread or an article on mental training for a while, so I thought I'd start one. A search brought up a load of Arno Ilgner stuff, and I've read the Rock Warrior's Way a couple of times and while I think it's excellent, it doesn't quite fit with my aims and what I intend to do out at the crag.

Even though I climb trad very regularly - as a student I have a lot of free time - I find it quite hard to get into the zone where I'm really comfortable on the rock and giving it my best. I often seem to find I have unhelpful expectations of a route: either I expect it to be easy and when it's hard it pisses me off, or I expect to find it desperate and I tentatively inch upwards, terrified, even though it's well within my capability and I should be storming up the thing.

My main problem, or one of them, is that I have to be utterly and completely sure that what I do is going to work: I can't force myself to try something that looks like it's going to propel me into the land of no holds. On a bad day, this usually results a whole world of dithering when the moves aren't even that hard.

What I'm looking for is tips to help climb quickly, decisively and positively - as opposed to slowly, indecisively and defensively. I'm not fussed about getting on harder routes and dealing with falling off them, but I do want to improve the style I climb in.

The bits of the RWW that I find a bit much are all the stuff about changing your motivation to become all hippy-dippy-Deepak-Chopra about it. If I'm honest, I really want to succeed on routes to feel good about myself - OK it's shallow but it would take years of therapy to undo that, and that's not what I'm up for! If anyone's got any thoughts at all on how to approach a trad route at your limit that you've wanted to do for years, or just how to put the odds in your favour of getting on a route and feeling good on it, jot'em down here. Or any links to good articles, or anything remotely relevant!

Thanks,
Jon
... not showing 22 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums