/ Climbing - Shrewsbury to Lampeter + North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MeMeMe - on 20 Aug 2013

We're off on holiday in our van and it's going to involve a leg between Shrewsbury to Lampeter and we'd like to stop off for a climb or two on the way. I don't know the area let alone the climbing there so I thought somebody might be able to point us at a decent crag or two.

We also maybe in north wales later in the week so will probably climb there too so feel free to offer some advice for that too.

We are looking for crags which will have enough easy climbing for a 7 year old and pregnant woman and not involve too steep/long a walk such that they are too knackered to climb.

At the Shrewsbury end of things I had a look at Pontesford Rocks but couldn't get a topo so not sure how suitable it would be. It looks like there was once a free online topo, anyone got a copy?

Thanks.
sleavesley on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to MeMeMe: pontesford would be suitable, there is a small walk in but nothing that would stop you climbing at the end of it.
I only have the rather expensive West Midlands climbs guide book, but if you walk you can see the easier lines. I will see if I have a PDF of the old downloads for you though (will have to access my PC for thaty!)
MeMeMe - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

Thanks, the PDF would be much appreciated!
tallsteve - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:

Also consider Ippikins Rock near Much Wenlock (Pretty much road side) and Llanermynech Quarry - just south of Oswestry and not too far off your route..

The former is steep but short Limestone and a bit small. The latter has easily top roped routes (big stakes) in Cul de Sac quarry ideal for kiddies, and bolted routes in the main area you may enjoy with abbing off points - you could pick up your quick draws as you descend.

I'll PM you.
tallsteve - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:
p.s. Pontesford rocks has a short steep/slightly overhanging start on most routes (About 8ft) then it tends to get easier. you can boost your 5 year old over the hard bit fairly easily - a pregnant wife though ...

When you've finished there's a nice scramble to the top of the hill. Head left from the tree walking up an easy rock slope then turn right into the gulley and up the narrow ledge diagonally left to right. It depends how heavily your wife is pregnant.
MattJP - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to MeMeMe:

How pregnant is the pregnant woman? Have you got a body harness for her?
MeMeMe - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to MattJP:
> (In reply to MeMeMe)
>
> How pregnant is the pregnant woman? Have you got a body harness for her?

27 weeks so slabby routes would be appreciated!

Yes she's got a full body harness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.