/ In-situ threads replaced in Huntsman's Leap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dan Lane - on 20 Aug 2013
I was down in Pembroke last week and on the one rainy days we got I decided to to something productive. I cut loads of old threads off the walls of Huntsman's Leap and replaced them.

I replaced the threads on Mythical Monster (there was 8 in-situ - almost a clip up!), Beast From the Undegrowth, the three threads just above the ground on Feeding the Beast, Scorched Earth/Another Day has new threads, as does Scare City (thinking it was Head Hunter, only to find out later that it wasn't). In addition the threads on Bloody Sunday are in good condition.

So, if ever there was a time to go to the Leap, it is now!
remus - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: Thanks!
3 Names - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Well done mate
johncoxmysteriously - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Good man.

jcm
Joughton on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: Cheers Dan, good effort! I'm getting on Scorched Earth/Just Another Day next week so I'm sure I'll be grateful for it.

Which route is Scare City?
Hardonicus - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: How many onsights did you blow?
adam 24 - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: Well done, a very considerate use of a rainy day!
irish paul - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: nice one! Out of interest (and having done mythical monster and scorch this season) what sort of state were the old threads? Nice to check whether your judgement on lead actually equates to the condition of the gear!
jon on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Well done Dan. Mind you, someone is bound to come along and complain!
cyberpunk - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: Thank you very much. Very nice of you.
AlanLittle - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Very public spirited Dan, well done.

I don't recall any in-situ threads when I led Beast From The Undergrowth though. I placed a few of my own, notably at the start of the traverse left before the crux. It was a long time ago so I might be mis-remembering.
John Alcock - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to AlanLittle:
Many thanks. I did Mythical Monster the other day and spent ages backing up every old thread.
Terrific job, much appreciatedc
Jonny2vests - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Dan the man.
Carless - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Remarkably public spirited of you - nice one
Dan Lane - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to various:

Jake, you'll walk up Scorch the Earth/Another Day, I expect you to come back claiming it to be a path.

The threads on Mythical Monster were in a pretty grim state and in desperate need of replacement. Scorch/Another Day threads were not so bad (and in fact I didn't replace the one on the top wall as it looked fairly new still).

Originally, Beast may well have not had any threads in-situ but when I did it a couple of years ago there was either two or three, I forget. I replaced what was there already, didn't place any new ones.
pasbury on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Is there a case here for a bit of innovative gear;

the pasbury thredklip -"tired of clipping bits of dodgy tat? can't be arsed to abb down and preplace? hate fiddling about with threads on lead and giving yourself a good excuse for failure? - deploy the thredklip with built in coathanger wire and boom you're good to go!!!
kevin stephens - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Thanks; much appreciated. You should get offered lots of free beer in the St Govan's Inn for this
Toerag - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: Would be a good idea to 'log' your climbs saying what you've done so people looking at the crag database will know when they were replaced.
Jon Stewart - on 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Really psyched for Mythical Monster now - thanks!
Robert Durran - on 21 Aug 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Dan Lane)
>
> Well done Dan. Mind you, someone is bound to come along and complain!

Having done Mythical Monster the day before and Scorched../Just Another.. the day after Dan's efforts I'm certainly not complaining!

jon on 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Well no, I was referring to the folk who gave him shit for replacing old worn out insitu belays/abseil points in the Peak, a few months back.
Dan Lane - on 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Toerag:

Yes, that would be ideal, though i haven't actually climbed any of them so i'd rather not log them. I guess i could put a comment on the crag page though - I'll do that.
Dan Lane - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

A bump fr those that may have missed this the first time around...
Franco Cookson on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:

Good effort Dan, good to see you're putting your love of abseiling to good use. Future BMC president?
Dan Lane - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Cheers Frankie!
phil456 - on 25 Aug 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: great work, I need to replace a thread on a climb I am working on, what size cord is suitable given it is subject to the elements for a long time. cheers phil
Dan Lane - on 25 Aug 2013
In reply to phil456:

Basically, the biggest you can fit through it.

If you can only get some thin cord (4mm for example) will it go through a few times?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.