ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Arthritis - Any advice?

csw on 20 Aug 2013
Not sure if this is in the right forum, apologies if not. Anyway, for a long time I've had a slightly arthritic right knee. It's never been a problem as far as walking with a pack goes, but it did curtail my running - However in the last 18 months or so it's got dramatically worse and now both knees and one hip are affected. I had a bit of a wake up call yesterday walking down from the East face of Tryfan which took about three hours and was quite painful. It occurred to me that unless there's a way to deal with this, it could mean the end of long routes on high crags, which was a scary thought.

Anyway, so far conversations with my GP have pretty much centred on pain management, and it must be said that a handful of codeine certainly makes descent easier, but I'm not sure I'd want to be leading on it. Does anyone have any suggestions about managing arthritis in a climbing context?
... not showing 41 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums