/ Longest (sensible) abseil rope length required (uk).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DubyaJamesDubya - on 14 Sep 2013
I bought a 100m abseil rope, at a very reasonable price (10.5mm 100), from a caving supply company. However having lugged it around Pembroke, a few times, it seems that cutting it down to save weight might be a good option. 60m is the longest ab I've found in Pembroke and I believe 70m would be fine for Gogarth so, before I irrevocably cut that 30m off, can anyone suggest why I might retain anymore of the length?
Jon Stewart - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Not sure if 70 is long enough to get down Easter Island Gully and Red Wall.
Liam Ingram - on 14 Sep 2013

Pabbay and Mingulay! If you've not been before then get yourself there!
johncoxmysteriously - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Eh? 50 is fine for Easter Island Gully. The ab's from the top of Supercrack, which is less than a rope length, no?

jcm

100 is pretty convenient in Lundy for some cliffs (whatever the one with Promised Land on is called, for example). But they are heavy.....

jcm
Jon Stewart - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
>
> Eh? 50 is fine for Easter Island Gully. The ab's from the top of Supercrack, which is less than a rope length, no?
>
Much easier to ab down in an 80m-ish one-er, that grass is fairly close to vertical.
Nick Russell on 14 Sep 2013
> can anyone suggest why I might retain anymore of the length?

Lundy (as already suggested). I know that the approach to American Beauty is greatly simplified with a 100m rope, and some others require the extra length.

Some of the Atlantic Coast has some pretty long abseils. I did Mercury Direct this summer, which has a ~90m abseil.
Jonny2vests - on 14 Sep 2013

Do Mousetrap before you cut it, 90m ish required I think, very comforting to have it there rather than retrieving, which feels quite committing. Not that you can reach it from the route mind.
DubyaJamesDubya - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> Do Mousetrap before you cut it, 90m ish required I think, very comforting to have it there rather than retrieving, which feels quite committing. Not that you can reach it from the route mind.

Done that one :-) I can't remember how we got down now (rope-wise that is but it was down a steep slope on the RHS,looking in)
It might be some time before I get to Lundy again so I might chop to 70 or 80m on the basis that it might need replacing by then (or I could borrow one)
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Oh right, you mean abbing down the approach path. Some people do that, I know.

jcm
In reply to Nick Russell:

And indeed it would be useful for America.

jcm
kingholmesy - on 14 Sep 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Nick Russell)
>
> And indeed it would be useful for America.
>
> jcm

Bit of a pain carrying an ab rope on the traverse in ...
Jonny2vests - on 15 Sep 2013
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
> Done that one :-) I can't remember how we got down now (rope-wise that is but it was down a steep slope on the RHS,looking in)

Yeah, that's the one. Fun times.

ads.ukclimbing.com
Misha - on 16 Sep 2013
Fair Head - some of the cliffs there are well over 60m and you wouldn't want to find yourself a few metres short... As above, Lundy, bits of Gogarth, Carn Gowla.

If you have an oldish 60m sport rope, you could use that instead of chopping the static - that way next time you do need a 90 or 100m ab rope, you will still have one available!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.