/ Avid bleed kit for 30+ or cheapo version for 10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dom Whillans on 15 Sep 2013
Are there any drawbacks to using the cheapo bleed kits from a certain well-known auction site, or do they work as well as the expensive genuine items? On the off chance that anyone has a spare kit going as well as an opinion, i'm definitely in the market for a kit...
highclimber - on 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: I made a bleed kit for my Hayes brakes for about 3. I wouldn't bother with OEM bleed kits, they are almost certainly rip-off
balmybaldwin - on 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans:

Cheapo kit should do it. Its a pita job though... make sure you have the right fluid, and remove your pads as contamination is very easy
the power - on 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans: id try the cheapo version I got the genuine version and they weren't very good avids are a pig to maintain I ended up swapping for cheap charlie shimano deore, been told by a local shop mechanic that avids are easier to bleed of the bike if your hose routing will allow also keep a eye on your pistons, mine corroded ro thw point that they wouldn't retract
Dom Whillans on 15 Sep 2013
thanks for the info, folks; i'm going to give a cheapo one a go. if avids are as much of a pain as my old hayes 9s to bleed i may go down the shimano route myself!
Dave Kerr - on 15 Sep 2013

The kit is basically 2 syringes and a clamp.

ads.ukclimbing.com
steev on 15 Sep 2013

Have used the cheapo avid kit from Epic Bleed Solutions successfully. The components aren't as nice or as ergonomic as the Avid kit but the price is still waay better value.

Be prepared to have a couple of goes at it - no matter how good you are at bleeding brakes, Avids have an odd tendency to require re-bleeding for no apparent reason. If they work first time then you should simply dance for joy.

My top tip for general use of Avid brakes: if you still have the wee red pad separator/bleed block thingies then it's worth using them to push the pistons back in from time to time (especially in winter) as it helps prevent them getting sticky/corroded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.