Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Bochette Way Information

chrisps - on 15 Sep 2013
A few months ago I was asking questions about the Bochette Way in Italy as logistically I was struggling to find details about it. Anyway, we did the trip back in July, and thought that I would post some info up that we would have found useful before we went for anyone searching these forums in the future.

- We went 13th July and hired a car from Milan Malpensa airport. After a lot of looking at trains, buses etc, we decided this would be the easiest and we were glad we chose this option in the end

- Parked at Rifugio Vallesinella. Massive car park up an obvious road from Madonna di Campiglio. We then spent ages trying to find the Rif before realising it had been knocked down! Being re-built as a posh looking resort

- Taking camping kit up there is totally pointless; we lugged 5 days food and all our camping kit around, but wished we hadn't; the Rifs are cheap (10-15EUR / night for BMC members) and were really nice. Food was about the same price as a British pub, but I would still take food if doing it again. Also, a bivi bag and insulated jacket would give a nice feeling of safety in case of bad weather on some of the high routes

- We faffed around a bit with routes, but if doing again, I think a good route would be the Rifugio Vallesinella car park > Rif Tuckett > path to top of the Groste ski lift > Brenta 1 (first part of Bochette Way) > Tucket (stay night) > Bochette Alte > Rif Alimonta (stay night) > Bochette Centrale then back round paths to Brenta 2 (SOSAT) in reverse > Rif Tuckett . Our group actually did the Bochette Centrale and Bochette Alte + a bit of faffing in a single day, but there was a rather massive storm in the evening, which was a bit dodgy.

- Definitely take ice axes! Admittedly we had an exceptional snow season, but there were numerous ice bridges and places where the ferrata cable disappeared under snow falls requiring you to walk across narrow paths on the snow. The ice axe made you feel a lot happier. We didnt really need crampons, but apparently sometimes it can get very icy (it was hot when we were there)

- Italian petrol stations don't seem to like British credit cards!

- We drunk water in the rifs all week, and from some streams without too much ill effect, but some of the rif managers suggested that it wasn't safe.

- Some of the rifs were good at giving weather forecasts, but some were dreadful (Alimonta especially) and we simply couldn't get any information on what the weather was going to do

- The scenery is amazing; take extra camera batteries :)

- We had full mobile signal most of the time (amazingly!)

Anyway, hope that helps someone!
... not showing 3 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums