ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - HELP! ...Damage by school group to Carrock Fell Boulders

Andy Can - on 05 Oct 2013
Please help! I have just had a very frustrating conversation with a teacher from King Edward 6th College, Stourbridge. He had just instructed his geology group of students to start 'taking samples' (knocking ten bells) out of the gabbro boulders on Carrock Fell! I expressed my displeasure at this instruction and attempted to explain that this was unacceptable behaviour.

He confidently informed me that he had permission, to which I expressed my surprise and enquired from whom. He failed to tell me but said he had a letter from a lake district based organisation back at his college. I was also amazed to find that he had no idea that these practices could be in any way a problem. In fact he considered my complaint a 'difference of opinion!'

He had no idea that he had instructed his group to 'take samples' from the start, middle and end of an established bouldering route, "The sound of one Al slapping" V2 5c on the DuAl boulder.

His lack of care, understanding and sympathy towards the environment together with his carte-blanche approach to chipping is in my view highly unprofessional. His students were laughing at my concerns and continuing to hit the gabbro with large hammers. I did wonder if he would take the same stance if standing on the top of the limestone pavement at Malham?

There is only one pocket of gabbro in England and he informed me that he has been collecting samples from it each year for the past eleven years. He also said that his group were making their way along the boulders so I assume they were going to damage the 'warm up area' next.

I've informed the BMC....does anyone know what else I can do (Legally!)?

Thanks
... not showing 103 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums