Walls & Training forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - New wall in Sheffield

stp - on 10 Oct 2013
Awesome Walls has opened a new wall in Sheffield. Layout wise its pretty similar to the Foundry with the steepest section at one end. The centrepiece is a very similar shaped feature as the Foundry's: steep wall/roof/steep wall.

This wall is pretty big - certainly more climbing square metres than either the Edge or the Foundry. It's both higher and has more lines. The longest routes (on the main overhang) are listed as 23.5 metres but that does include a fair amount of outward climbing. Nevertheless you can't get away with a traditional 30 metre wall rope on many/most lines.

It also has two pretty long bouldering walls - pretty much all overhanging at different angles. The routes are graded according to the colour of their holds eg. all red holds were V4 - V5.

Of course quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. Almost all the walls (lead and bouldering) are flat textured ply. There is one textured wall with cracks and features. This is pretty much vertical as I remember and has no routes set just yet.

The main lead walls are a mixture. Around half are full of nice interesting features and varied angles. The other half are fairly boring flat vertical walls. Routesetting is what makes or breaks a good climbing wall. I didn't do that many routes but these again seemed a mixture. Some of easier warm ups were definitely not so hot: machine gun line of holds. The routes on the steeper walls seemed better though. Some good routesetters involved but I imagine they've got quite a big job in routesetting this entire wall from scratch.

All in all a pretty nice addition to the Sheffield walls. Just hope it doesn't put any of the other walls out of business: the Foundry, The Works and the Edge are all excellent facilities, well managed with great routesetting.
... not showing 68 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums