/ Everest Without Oxygen - BBC4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blizzard - on 29 Dec 2013

Have any of you seen this fascinating documentary?

Documents Messners 1978 expedition. Very good viewing.

How times have changed in terms of the people, numbers and expeditions that attempt the peak now.

The most worrying aspect of high altitude climbing, pulmary odema apart is the permanent memory loss that can accompany high altitude ventures.
Post edited at 23:25
Nigel Modern on 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Canoeing down Everest film in the same series is good too. I remember the expedition but never really understood what they did. It was quite an achievement and the film communicates the atmosphere of the era well - kind of like a group of university students on an extended adventure, with the feeling that much (by today's standards) was left to chance.
Trangia - on 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

When and where is it on?
Ian W - on 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Canoeing one was on a few days ago, Beeb 4. May well be on the iplayer.

Al Evans on 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Both so far are on BBC iplayer, there is also one more in the trilogy, Balooning over Everest, all by Leo Dickinson.
Kipper - on 30 Dec 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

> Have any of you seen this fascinating documentary?

> Documents Messners 1978 expedition. Very good viewing.

I don't think so, but they sent me a postcard from base camp at the time.
Blizzard - on 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Past tense. It was on the other night on BBC4. Just keep an eye on wether it will be on again, they do tend to recycle such programmes.
digby - on 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Fascinating, well made documentaries. A lesson to the appalling Grylls, were he to be the least bit interested, and to anyone else who thinks that goosing up the truth is the best way to produce dramatic tv.

However the beards were lamentable.
brianrunner - on 31 Dec 2013
In reply to digby:

I agree, it was a great account of that ascent with lots of interesting footage and an informative narrative. I also watched the bear grylls programme with Stephen Fry and the contrast between the quality of the two is extreme. Its the pretence in the grylls piece that the adventure is real that I didn't like about it.

Brian
Doghouse - on 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I watched both and enoyed both... .
MonkeyPuzzle - on 31 Dec 2013
In reply to digby:

> Fascinating, well made documentaries. A lesson to the appalling Grylls, were he to be the least bit interested, and to anyone else who thinks that goosing up the truth is the best way to produce dramatic tv.

> However the beards were lamentable.

I disagree vehemently. The beards were epic.
balmybaldwin - on 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Just looking for these, and see theres a hot air balloon one.
Dave Perry - on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

The title, Everest without oxygen is incorrect however. what did they breathe then?
johnj on 01 Jan 2014 - 86.112.78.158 whois?
In reply to Dave Perry:

> The title, Everest without oxygen is incorrect however. what did they breathe then?

Lol

Maybe Bear and his team will pick up on this one for next year and film Everest in a total vacuum where he drags Hoover Nose Danniella Westbrook up various trade routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.