/ Aonach Mor Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
simontheclimber on 31 Dec 2013

Hi Folks, Anyone got suggestions for routes that might be good to get on tomorrow? Up to grade III. Or somewhere with easy/quick access out West?
cheers
Post edited at 16:00
danny269 - on 31 Dec 2013
In reply to simontheclimber:

There were several parties on Golden Oldie on Monday - walk in was the trickiest part with soft/sugary snow but route was in acceptable condition particularly when we reached the main part of the ridge. Fantastic route which if you haven't already done it is well worth doing even before any of the IIIs on the same face
In reply to danny269:

Hi Danny,
many thanks, how long did that take? Sounds like a great route but I have a slow 2nd!
danny269 - on 31 Dec 2013

we took about 3 1/2 hrs from the start of the climb (and were overtaken by a faster pair as well as a few soloists!) so I wouldn't say we were fast either - the walk in took us about the same but we foolishly left too early to catch the 8am climbers lift (not something I'll be repeating!) A team behind us (from our party) took another hour to finish and (just) caught the gondola back down
Simon Wells - on 31 Dec 2013

Is Glden Oldie on the West face of Anoch Mor?

I think SAIS are saying that tomorrow the avalanche risk will be 'considerable' on the west faces in the Lochaber area?

Have a look at the link:

http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_lochaber.asp

Have a great winter!
Simon Wells - on 31 Dec 2013

forgot to add:

The approach before getting onto the rib may be exposed to avalanches down the gulleys from the 900m "considerable", i.e once on route it would be less exposed.

Cheers Guys, I have decided to do eastern Slant on Aonach Dubh in the Coe, SE facing and don't have to worry about getting the gondaler.
Cheers
Ken Applegate - on 31 Dec 2013
Sorry to intervene, but if it's Eastern Slant on Aonach Dubh you're looking at, then you'll not find it in good condition, as it's too low. I was up on SCNL yesterday and there's very little in condition below the corrie floor, as the freezing levels have been quite high (800m+) recently.
Post edited at 21:10
ads.ukclimbing.com

cheers Ken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.