ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Answering the "has this been climbed before?" question

Morgan P - on 01 Jan 2014
When looking at putting up a new route or boulder problem, or just happen to have done something in an area you think people wouldn't have climbed at before, what's the accepted amount of effort to find if it's been climbed before before you claim it as a first ascent?

How much effort is someone required to make? Is it a matter of checking the current guides and if it's not there then claiming it?

My thinking though is that these guides could have left out little used or obscure areas (e.g. a lonely boulder miles from anything else) or could be a select guide (e.g. every eliminate or variation of a boulder problem that could be found on yorkshiregrit or UKC isn't listed even in a definitive guide)

If this is the case, do you need to do an indepth search of past forum posts, local websites, old guides, youtube etc etc etc before you can claim it or is it generally accepted to claim it if it isn't in the common sense places and see if you get corrected?

In summary: What's the ethics behind how hard you search for a previous ascent of something before you claim it?

P.s. Assume this is in a country without the wonder of a definitive UKC!
... not showing 17 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums