Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Tent possible condensation?

climbwhenready - on 01 Jan 2014
Hi,

We've bought our first tent for walking/camping/climbing trips and thought we'd give it a test before doing any real camping by rigging it in the garden for the last 24 hours (in Yorkshire, where it is raining). We didn't actually sleep in it, we just rigged it to see if it's waterproof.

This evening when we took it down it seemed that there was significant amounts of water on the inside of the fly, plus a large number of isolated beads of water on the inner. We think it is likely that this is condensation/dew, given the humidity (ie. rain), changing temperatures and general coldness - but are slightly concerned it might be a non-waterproof outer. Notably the water droplets on the inner were all over, not focussed at any point ie. it did not appear to me as if they were wicking in.

Is condensation a sensible explanation for this, and is there an easy way to test the waterproofing of the fly short of rigging it again and using a hosepipe? We just don't want to find out by getting soaked through the first time we camp in it!

Thanks a lot for any help/suggestions!
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums