/ Brecon beacons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Magicdan - on 01 Jan 2014
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so I hope this is in the right section.
In the first weekend of February me and a buddy are going into the Brecon Beacons, my question is this, what are the conditions likely to be and will I need to go with full on ice axe and Crampons?
We are pretty well equipped and experienced so know all the relevant precautions to take I just don't want to take them if I don't need to due to weight and space.
Although we are experienced most of our Hill walking is in the spring and summer although we did go up a couple of smaller hills (moel siabod and another that I can't remember the name of) in December last year and it was snowy and a little icey but perfectly fine.
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Gwilymstarks on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

You are asking the million dollar question. I have climbed ice in South Wales in April. I have run up Pen y Fan in shorts and T shirt in February.

Maybe ask this question a week or so before you go and you may well get an answer from the locals.
Welsh Kate - on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

If you are hillwalkers rather than looking for Welsh winter routes then you are likely to be perfectly ok with microspikes and walking poles rather than full-on winter kit, but we've had some good winters here recently where you could use axe and 'pons as a walker if wanted.

But as advised, best to ask nearer the time. We're under water at the moment and it's very mild out!
In reply to Gwilymstarks:

That's fair enough, just trying to figure out what to take and what to leave at home, I appreciate it's not exactly the easiest question to answer, cheers for the reply any how!
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I was thinking along those lines, some decent micro Spikes and a long handled ice axe but like you say, I'll ask again nearer the time, should be easier to gauge.
Cheers
greycarsdave - on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

I'm looking at coming up next week, probably mid week. How are the conditions on pen-y-fan at the moment?

Dave
Welsh Kate - on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to greycarsdave:

Wet.
There was snow over Christmas, but there's virtually nothing up there now. Keep an eye on the Met Office mountain area forecast and the summit forecast for Pen y Fan.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/pen-y-fan-powys#?tab=fiveDay&map=Significant...

I'll be up in the Beacons this weekend, if you post a reminder I'll post up a conditions report.
greycarsdave - on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Sounds great, thanks.

Dave
Dave Perry - on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Just because a hill has snow on it doesn't mean you need 'full on', or any special gear.
tipsy - on 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Www.southwaleswinter.blogspot.com

Wet at the moment. Anybody's guess for a months time.
Magicdan - on 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

Cheers for all your replys, much appreciated, I'll check back in a few weeks!
James Jackson on 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Just because a hill has snow on it doesn't mean you need 'full on', or any special gear.

No indeed. I ran up Pen-y-Fan in shorts and tee-shirt last March when it was covered in snow. Plenty of people cutting about with full winter gear though.
ads.ukclimbing.com
lone - on 02 Jan 2014
In reply to Magicdan:

I've only ever used Ice axe and Crampons on areas such as the Goat Track under Cribyn and the Snout to it's summit, also up the easy gully on Fan y Big, and the climb to the top of Graig Fan Du usually gets iced up quite a bit when its cold enough.

Usually use Instep Crampons everywere else where ground permits.

Jason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.