Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Cordillera Blanca June Double Boots?

stratandrew on 23 Feb 2014
Im heading for Peru for a month in June. Several peaks on the list PD to AD inc Yanapacha, Quiteraju, Alpamayo all Peaks between 5400m and 6100m. Only three or four nights at camp 5300m rest of nights all around 4800m or below.

I own standard Nepal boots. Four seasons worn in and very comfortable. I dont suffer especially from cold feet and have used them in Norway at Rjukan and all Scottish climbing Ive done. Ive had two conflicting bits of advice. Can anyone who has actually been to the Cordillera Blanca in June/July and climbed these mountains offer an informed perspective, or draw analogies with other similar areas in the Himalaya?

Everything I have read or discussed so far seems to indicate that the Blanca is very warm in June a bit like the Alps in July/August just bit higher!

So here are my options:

1) Super insulate my existing boots: Buy thermal (aluminium) insoles, Lorpen Primaloft socks and an insulated or very thick over-gaiter (Not the Yeti glue on type anyone any ideas who else makes ones that you dont glue on and Im not sure the Antarctic forty below ones at 140 a pair are what Im after!).

2) Buy a pair of expensive Double boots (Spantik, Boreal G1 Lite, Asolo etc)and then youll have no worries.......(PS ive tried Scarpa Vega and they are too Agricultural I love my feet!)

Thanks all.
Andy
... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums