/ Best approach/scramble show

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Euge - on 10 Mar 2014
I currently wear Mammut Redburn for scrambles and easy climbing.

Looking for a new pair and can't decide on

Scarpa Crux
Mammut Redburn
La Sportiva Xplorer

Any opinions out there?

Cheers
E
jezb1 - on 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge:
The Crux are really good. Followed up to 5a trad and super comfy too. Used on Dolomite descents and lots of days work.
Post edited at 20:57
Euge - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks Jez.

Any more?

E
Cameron94 on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge:

Yeah the crux do the job for easy climbing, I've had mine on vs and they've done the job well.
The walk in is a different story though, they leave my feet aching after a short day in them. My first time using them was for 65km over a couple of days and they were brilliant but they gradually got worse over the next three months.

I pronate when I walk however so I wear specific insoles in all shoes which normally does the job but they didn't work in the crux. My feet still rolled towards the medial line. Have you seen ugg boots wear girls end up walking more on the edge of the boot rather than the sole? That's more what it feels like.

On the other hand though I know loads of people that rate them, they just weren't for me though.

Hope that helps your decision a bit.
Nath93 - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge: 5.10 Guide Tennies, absolutely great shoes, super sticky rubber.

Not much tread though so need to be careful on steep and wet grass.
Euge - on 12 Mar 2014

Thanks again...

Looking for something that would be suitable for say The Skye Ridge.

Cheers
E
Euge - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Nath93:

Had a pair of Tennies... trashed them on Skye.
Rubbish for mountains but good for cragging.

E
StuDoig - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge:

Haglof rock icon's are pretty good - middle road between a walking trainer and a climbing trainer (decent tread with flat "climbiong zone" on the toe and down the inside edge). Got them in the Autum so not had a chance to try them on mountain routes, but been fine for cragging on the odd occasion I've been out over winter!

Cheers,

Stuart
Nath93 - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge:

That's where mine have had the majority of their use. Coire Lagan round, middle section of the ridge, Ghreadaidh and Mhadaidh traverse, Pinnacle Ridge a few times and various other days running around after climbs in the corries. I find them great up there and relatively durable, still on my first pair, they're frayed around the edges but still going well.
Jonny2vests - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge:

> Had a pair of Tennies... trashed them on Skye.

> Rubbish for mountains but good for cragging.

> E

Yep, I prefer the 5.10 Insight or Camp 4 for bigger days out, my preferred choice for mountain routes or big walls below E1. I honestly don't think anyone makes better approach shoes that you might actually climb in than 5.10, and I've been looking for a long time.
andyd1970 - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge:

Scarpa Zodiac look as thought they are a good all rounder. I have got the La sportiva Boulder x's and wouldn't buy them again.
http://www.scarpa.co.uk/approach/zodiac/
steely85 - on 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Euge:

Millet friction great shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.