Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - I've let the side down.

SethChili - on 11 Mar 2014
I enjoy a good rant against car drivers .
But I'm about to launch into a tirade against myself , a cyclist .

This morning I set out on my commute , as I have done almost every day for the last 2 years . I cycled up the same side street , and paused at the same junction onto a main road I planned to turn right . The visibility was good, I'd had a good night's sleep and I was enjoying the fresh air . I had time to spare
A car approached on the right side of the road , perhaps 20 meters away . I checked to the left and didn't notice any traffic . All I had to do was wait for the car to pass .
But at that point something in my head kicked my legs into action ''Yeah , you can nip out here ahead of that car . Easy . Piece of cake ''
I didn't indicate , didn't make eye contact with the driver and peddled out into the road . At this point things went into a strange slow motion sequence .
I swerved past the car coming from the right missing it by a couple of feet . A small black car had now appeared on the other side of the road , coming from the left. I also swerved past this car - barely inches away from the front bumper . Somehow I managed to reach the verge without a crash .
It is fair to say that had I been hit it would have been entirely my fault . I acted like a twit , took a split second decision to save a few seconds on my journey and almost caused a nasty collision . All in all , I did a pretty moronic thing and have certainly given at least two drivers more reason to dislike cyclists .
... not showing 26 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums