/ cairngorns, highlands conditions at Easter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mc2006 - on 14 Mar 2014
Hi, are we expecting there still to be winter conidtions at Easter in Scotland?
CurlyStevo - on 14 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:
Easter is very late this year so its anyones guess what the conditions will be like then. There is a huge amount of snow down so its very likely there will still be enough to climb in the major gully lines, if its cold enough. That time of year is not normally much cop for mixed routes although the major ridges on Ben Nevis can still be in condition, normally people will be climbing neve and ice based climbs.

Generally the later in the season the higher the venue to get good conditions and the less variation between west coast and east coast regarding temperature at munro level (as the atlantic has cooled down).

The northern corries are not that high really well compared to the Ben anyways, which is why people typically head over to Ben Nevis late season, well that coupled with the fact that most years Ben Nevis does tend to attract the most snow and therefore tends to hold on to it later (and transform more of it to ice).

One issue you may have is that the cornices above the major gully lines that are still holding snow may still be at least partially intact and that time of year is prime for them to collapse. People are describing them as serac like this year so take care!

Cheers,
Stevo
Post edited at 13:52
mc2006 - on 14 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

ok thanks for that. I will wait nearer the time i suppose and see, its either scrambling in the Lakes or up to Scotland to do some winter routes if the conditions are good enough
In reply to mc2006:

I just added a fair bit more to that post after your reply BTW.
In reply to mc2006:
Contact me nearer the time if you want recommendations for last minute bunk houses (or indeed campsites), I used to live in Scotland and never failed to find somewhere to stay and pretty much never booked more than a day or two ahead!

I agree staying flexible if you can is the way forward.
Post edited at 14:10
ads.ukclimbing.com
mc2006 - on 14 Mar 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

yes that would be great mate. Roll on Easter so I can get away from the city for a week!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.