/ Chamonix Conditions
Does the gabarrou alboini ever get done in summer now? Given its aspect I would have thought unless you do it at night you are putting yourself at high risk of getting clouted by debris for quite a long time period.
I wouldn't imagine so, it was just an example!
a friend climbed Modica/Noury next to the Albinoni/Gabarrou 3 days ago, ok conditions
Even if it's in condition, if there's anyone above you on the Albinoni Gabarrou, you're likely to be pegged with debris. It's super skinny, and there's not any room to hide if stuff gets knocked down on you. Start early. Get on the route first.
Can somebody tell me if the Bonatti route at the Grand Capucin will be in condition the next weekend? The weather forecast is excellent, hence it might be doable. However, it is very hard for me to say how it is regarding snow that remains on the ledges, or possible run-off. I would appreciate any hint, because it's a pretty long trip to go there and find out that it is hopeless.
Charlie boscoe blog refers to people doing the profit perroux route off the midi bridge so def pack the technical axes.
I haven't been up in a while but the Bonatti is rarely a good early season option. Even though it's quite steep, there is a fair amount of run off in key places (the traverse on P4 and the crux wall) until all snow has melted.
Forecast is great for the next week or so, though, so if you're very strong at the grade and don't mind getting your rock shoes wet, you may still want to give it a go.
Thanks for the advice, Alexandre!
We were there last weekend, and climbed the Swiss Route on Grand Capucin. The schrund and the Couloir des Aguilettes were in perfect nick, and also the route was in good condition and dry. That's at least what I thought on the way up. However, when we were abseiling, there was already a waterfall over all the upper pitches. So it is key to start early and be quick.
From below and on early morning, the Bonatti seemed good as well. However, because it gets sun much earlier, problems with runoff might start much earlier. Also, it is only accessible directly from below, the access via the ledges looked like having a portion of advanced mixed climbing.
You are probably best almost treating it like a scottish winters day and decide the night before what's safe and what's not. It's boiling hot here at the moment with day time temps in double digits (that's in the mountains) and the freezing level is hovering around 4000m. You can hear stuff falling down all over the place!
Did the Dent du Geant today. Approach was fine with a frozen track but anything to the side of it was soft. By the time we got back down to the bottom of the abeils (10.30 i think) the snow was mush. Temps are due to drop slightly towards the end of the week but I think you will have to assess each route on its own merits.
Have fun but think of august temps, not june. Someone summed it up as "winter conditions with a lot of snow but summer temps".
Really? I am quite surprised by this, the ledge approach is usually very straightforward once you have exited the couloir (which, along with the bergshrund, is the really sketchy bit).
Conditions in cham seem to be: lots of snow but high temps. Very mushy snow thus, and avalanche danger. I have no idea about the ice, but it seems (if I can trust several blogs) to be climbable.
thanks for all the info, think I'm going to aim for south facing rock routes, classic alpine stuff and hopefully the north face of the tour ronde but doing it super early in the morning.
Any other recommendation would be welcome!
Thanks for the info folks.
I'm going over this weekend (21/22 june) hoping to have a crack at Voyages Selon Gulliver on the Grand Capucin. Forecast says there's another dump of snow this week though. Any up to date conditions info greatly appreciated.
Celinski, did you happen to see how Gulliver looked while you were on Swiss Route?
Thanks in advance,
I think it will be good for Gulliver. The weather during the past two weeks was fine and there's nothing to expect than maybe a thundery shower for the next 2-3 days. When we were there (9 days ago), there was still quite a bit of snow left on the ledges between the first pitches which are done over Elixir d'Astaroth and the proper start of the route. Some of that may have melted, and one should almost certainly be able to get around it. Apart from that, the route looked dry and good already when we were there. If you send me a mail, I can send you a 9-day-old picture of Grand Capucin.
Thanks Marcel, sounds like it should be feasible with a bit of luck. A photo would be great! I'll send you my email address. Cheers
It's been raining quite heavily in the afternoon in the past 2-3 days, but judging by what the Aiguilles looked like during a brief clearing, it doesn't look like a massive dump up high. A day or two of solid weather (aka this upcoming weekend) should get most south facing routes in great condition.
Probably fairly snowy still. It's been done a few times last week, though.
Just took a good look from route des pècles, it looks surprisingly dry. I don't think you'll climb it in rock shoes, but it looks like really good nick.
Yes, did it three days ago. Pretty icy on top with not much snow cover but good screws.
Approach slopes to biv de la fourche in poor condition. Early approach direct to the main arete from cosmiques/ Torino/ bivouac perhaps better.
Elsewhere on the site
Pete Whittaker has flashed the 32 pitch route Freerider 5.12d on El Capitan in Yosemite Valley over three days,... Read more
Manchester Climbing Centre is showing Reel Rock’s Valley Uprising on Tuesday the 11th of November at... Read more
Every so often you meet someone in climbing that makes you take a step back. Someone with a fire in their eye, passion in... Read more
A fantastically versatile little pack; whether out running in the hills, hitting the trails on the bike or just running for the... Read more