/ Offa's Dyke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Trangia - on 09 Jun 2014
Just completed the Southern section Chepstow to Knighton. What an interesting and varied walk, and a very warm welcome from the locals throughout.

Also I now know what sheep look/sound like! :)

We are intending to do the Northern sector in the Autumn. Any UKCers done the whole thing? How does the Northern sector compare with the Southern sector?
wynaptomos - on 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Did it all over 30 years ago. Continually interesting along its whole length. The Llangollen area and northwards over Bryniau Clwyd I especially remember as worth doing.
Mark Kemball - on 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Did it over 40 years ago, a real adventure for 4 teenagers. It's all lovely.
Somerset swede basher - on 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Not done offas but have just finished the pennine way. I've nothing to compare it against as I've not done a long distance path before but other than being a bit boggy in places I can recommend that for your next walk. We did it over a leisurely 17 days but you could easily squeeze it into 2 weeks off work if wanting to do the thing in a one-er.
altirando - on 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

The north section under the Eglwyseg cliffs above Llangollen is almost like the Dolomites. A favourite area, only 45 minutes away. The following section along the switch back Clwyd ridge is probably one of the best ridge walks in the country, a broad trail with superb views. All hillier than the south section. Should be lots of heather in bloom on the upper slopes after late August.
climber34neil - on 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Northern section is lovely, but try to avoid it at weekends if you want to avoid the crowds. Great views to snowdon, cadir
Trangia - on 10 Jun 2014
In reply to All:

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to the northern section. Asa I said before the Marches are lovely as are the people, but judging by the number of castles, not to mention the Dyke itself, it's had a turbulent past.
Richard Popp - on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

Hi, I did the whole thing in two weeks a couple of summers ago, of all the long walks (GR20, long treks in remote Nepal and Ladakh) this was probably one of my faves. Partly being with my wife (argh) but also we found it un-crowded and with interest through out-including Prestatyn, the Clwyd Hills (?) were a revelation.

Rich
ads.ukclimbing.com
annieman - on 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Trangia:

I've walked several sections and fully intend to complete the ODP sometime.

You need to know that as you go north, the stile count goes up and up. Some fields north of Llandegla have an excess of stiles.

Enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.