Running forum

View latest messages in My Forums
Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Topic - Cheap isotonic drink

Paul Robertson - on 27 Jun 2014
I'm looking for powders which I can carry and mix with water taken from the fell. The cheaper the better.
Any suggestions?
yorkshireman - on 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Paul Robertson:

I don't use Isotonic drinks too much - I prefer water with electrolyte tabs and then get my calories through food. However I do always have a pack of the Aptonia lime powder ISO drink in the house which I find is good, and quite reasonable (from Decathlon).

http://www.decathlon.fr/iso-citron-vert-750ml-id_8273068.html
In reply to yorkshireman:

I find it increasingly hard to stomach any food after I have been out for a few hours. I guess I could try tabs supplemented by Jelly Babies. Any recommendations for something palatable.
LastBoyScout on 27 Jun 2014

Quite a few available in tablet form now - High5 Zero, for example.

Think Merlin cycles have some offers on energy stuff at the moment.
J_Trottet - on 27 Jun 2014

Squash and a bit of salt. Does exactly the same job.
Tony the Blade on 27 Jun 2014

Science In Sport have a very helpful website, and cheap options for you to try.

http://www.scienceinsport.com/

TtB
IPPurewater on 27 Jun 2014

Fruit juice of your choice, diluted 1 to 2 or 1 to 3, with a little salt.
In reply to J_Trottet:

> Squash and a bit of salt. Does exactly the same job.

I do about 1 to 9 orange juice and water and on hot days add a small pinch of salt, and find that very palatable even once it has warmed up to ambient temperature. I remember reading years ago that was basically the same as Isostar for instance. Not sure if that's true or not but it does seem to work well on long bike rides.
GavClayton - on 27 Jun 2014

Robinsons SQUASHD; tiny bottle, super concentrated, dilute with beck water. It works...we overdid it and it was so strong the kids would/could not drink it!

Thanks,
Some good ideas here to experiment with. I'm not going to be in a race or anything, just looking to be able to keep going all day and not get cramp.
ow arm - on 27 Jun 2014
A lot of squash these days e.g. robinsons are no added sugar, so will have some energy in it but not that much compared to other cordials. so if its just an isotonic you want then yes squash and a bit of salt should be grand.

in terms of a diy powder - you can buy Glucose (dextrose) powder from a chemist or some supermarkets. then add a bit of lemon juice from a bottle and a pinch of salt and make it as you like the taste.

glucose powder is just glucose, sugar is usually 50/50 glucose and fructose, which takes longer to digest which may or may not be desirable.
Post edited at 16:06
Indy - on 27 Jun 2014

Am surprised to see I'm the first to point out that your being conned if you believe that these isotopic sports drinks are of any benefit to you. I fully understand why the likes of Lucozade with others push these type drinks as the profit margins in this multi-billion market are through the roof.

To get a fuller understanding the BMJ (The British Medical Journal) did a study entitled "The truth about sports drinks" It looked at the marketing and science behind sports drinks. All you need to know is that the American Beverage Association were not happy.

Anyway if you have money to burn.....
J_Trottet - on 27 Jun 2014

It's interesting to note that isotonic drinks are often not used by elite athletes on the basis that most aren't batch tested so cannot be guaranteed to pass doping tests.

Check the sugar content of the squash you buy. If there isn't enough, add sugar.
Paul Robertson - on 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

I'm all for 'good science' as opposed to commercially driven, selective studies, and I certainly don't have money to burn.

I do however get acute cramp in my legs if I run for more than 3 or 4 hours unless I get enough water/salt/carbs.

I'm looking for a balance of the above which will work for me and won't require me to carry a lot of heavy pre-made stuff. (As I said in the OP I usually carry a couple of 500ml bottles and take water from the fell wherever appropriate.)
tjin - on 30 Jun 2014
Cheapest isotonic drink; the 'Fast carb' buckets from the bodybuilding shops. Got 2KG powder for +/- 15 pound.

(you will hate the taste after finishing the bucket)
Post edited at 12:50
The New NickB - on 30 Jun 2014

I quite like these and not a bad price at wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-electrolyte-drink-20-tabs/

Electrolites and magnesium for cramp, I find it is better to take carbs separately, in whatever form you can tolerate.
Denni on 30 Jun 2014

Squash, sugar and salt, voila.
climberchristy on 29 Aug 2014

I like High 5 zero tablets. can be wrapped in foil and carried dry in a pocket then added to water 'on the run' Discount supplements is a decent website that often has them a lot cheaper than the 7 a tube (of 20)which you find in running shops
stevieweesaxs107 - on 30 Aug 2014
In reply to climberchristy:

Sis Cola tabs top notch but I'll only buy if cheap

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

My Forums