Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Topic - Cycle computors.

Malt_Loaf - on 13 Aug 2014
Hi All,

All being well, i'll be looking to invest in a better bike computor so looking for recommendations whilst sticking to a budget. The follow would be requirments:

-normal stuff e.g. distance, avg. speed etc
-cadence sensor.
-heart rate system (preferable).
-hard wearing, reliable is a must.
-would be an advantage if i could download routes to a PC. e.g. like Garmin ones.

Not looking to spend a fortune!! So sensible money please.

Any thoughts?

ML.
Bob on 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:
Depends what you mean by sensible money - you don't specify a budget. Things like the cadence sensor and HRM add money as they are the features that manufacturers use to sell the higher priced models.

About the cheapest I can find is this - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-stealth-50-gps-with-hr-and-speedcadance-sensor/ Can't vouch for how good it is though I've used Cateye cycle computers before but not GPS ones.
Post edited at 16:26
In reply to Bob:
Less than 150 ideally. Would consider good condition second hand as well.

Thanks for the link, will research some reviews etc!
Post edited at 16:27
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

I've never understood why you need a cadence sensor.
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

Mainly, because I'm new to serious riding- I find it difficult to gauge my cadence...I think I should be upping it a little but I find it difficult to tell. Mind you I fear that I may just end up never looking at it after a season or so.

That leads to a different question...I have a watch with a HR system and a bike computer with basic functions. Strava on my iphone to download rides..

Is it worth upgrading?
balmybaldwin - on 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

What is your HR watch? many of the Garmin ones will connect to ant+ wheel/cadence sensors
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It's not a Garmin one, it's a timex triathlon.

ML.
In reply to Malt_Loaf: Just pedal. If it's too hard and makes your knees hurt change down and pedal faster; if you're spinning out change up.

Unless there's a rule that says what your cadence should be, just do what suits you. In fact, just do what suits you anyway.
balmybaldwin - on 13 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:
I can only find a ironman model -presumably yours is an older model? Check the specs for it thoiugh, as a lot of the ironman ones festure ant+ in which case you just need a sensor
Post edited at 18:10
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that! I'll have a look at the booklet and see!

Cheers,
ML.
Ragingpossum on 14 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

If you are looking for something that will help you take your riding to the next level then get a garmin 500 (not the more expensive 510).

These can be picked up 2nd hand really cheaply.

When combined with strava/garminconnect analysis this will give you all the tools you need to really improve.

Garmin may be more expensive than other brands but there is a reason for. Without doubt the best performance upgrade you could make to a half decent bike (better than wheels in my opinion).
alan1961 - on 29 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Bryton Rider 40. The computer is about 130. It works of GPS and will pick up data from any ant sensors ie HRM and cadence. You can get an ant HRM strap for around 25 and the same for a cadence transmitter.

I've been running one for about 3 years in all weathers and it's been great. The best thing about this type of monitor, for me is that it can swop quickly and easily between any bike. You can either purchase extra mounting kits or just swop the original over. Which takes about a minute. I use the same computer on my commuting bike, road bike (winter and summer bikes) and mountain bike.

You can upload all the routes and my only complaint it that the website could be better.

Hope this is of some help
Kimono - on 30 Aug 2014
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Garmin 500 seconded
krikoman - on 30 Aug 2014
In reply to alan1961:

> Bryton Rider 40. The computer is about 130.

90!! http://www.rutlandcycling.com/110019/products/bryton-rider-40e-gps-cycle-computer.aspx?origin=pla&am...

Agree about the website but there's other software I use SportTracks

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

My Forums