/ bumbag or small rucksack?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
alasdair19 on 29 Aug 2014
Hello

doing the nine edges. derwent edge to birchen/chats worth. so mostly good trails. never run before and now need to carry the compulsory kit.

is it personal preference or tri Al mentality that results in fell runners with b bags and wannabe utmb types with elaborate rucksacks?!
BikeClimbWalk - on 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Personal preference all the way. I personally don't get on that well with bum bags, they either bounce around or are too tight around my waist. So I prefer a small rucksack. You don't need a massive amount of food/water for nine edges, there are enough checkpoints to keep you going.
mbh - on 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I have used a bumbag for the first time this year, and have found it to be comfortable, much more so than the OMM rucksack I have worn before. I could get everything in it that I needed for a 32 mile coast path event I attempted recently (I DNFd after 20 miles) and find it really handy for long off road training runs where I might want to have more than just my car keys with me. However, on the coast path event it was a hot day and I really missed being able to drink at will from a bladder thingy, and ended up carrying my bottle in my hand. Those really fancy Salomon vests look great for that kind of thing, actually, and I saw several highly placed runners using them, but they are very expensive.
Carolyn - on 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I'd chose a small rucsac every time - I find they move around a lot less than a bum bag. Or maybe it's just that the movement is less annoying to me. But as you've probably already noticed, it's largely just individual preference. Mind you, I can't see those jackets working well for women......
highclimber - on 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I use a bum bag for shortish runs <10miles.
richlan - on 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

Don't knock the UTMB style race vest till you try them, I swapped to Salomon SLab for long stuff, very comfortable and accessible, the inov8 ones look good too, but if you don't want to go race vest the pack every time for me

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-race-ultra-vest/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&a...
ads.ukclimbing.com
thedatastream on 29 Aug 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

I've got a Haglofs Gram 15 that I use for such events. A well fitting rucksack is like it isn't there. Bumbags I find uncomfortble and I always feel the need to pee when wearing one!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.