Destinations forum

View latest messages in My Forums
Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Topic - Portland car parks - overnight sleeping

lewismansell - on 01 Sep 2014
Can't find a bed (under 50/night) for the night on Saturday for me and a mate. Can anyone suggest anywhere suitable to park up for the night and kip in the car?
Oceanrower - on 01 Sep 2014
In reply to lewismansell:

Behind what used to be The Mermaid used to work for me.
johnl - on 02 Sep 2014

Have you tried the YMCA on Reforne in Easton, used to be about 15 a night?
Parking up and kipping for the night is not recommended on Portland and I think the bit behind what was the Mermaid is under different ownership.
robbo99 - on 02 Sep 2014

have seen people camping at the cuttings down in the boulder field before...but i gather the landowner has told campers to leave in the past, which i suppose he's perfectly entitled to do.

Bagwell farm campsite is good and cheap c.20 quid, but a few miles out of weymouth.
CurlyStevo - on 02 Sep 2014
This campsite is pretty good and a reasonably good pub is close by. It's not too far from portland.

http://www.porteshamdairyfarm.co.uk/
Post edited at 13:22
steve taylor - on 02 Sep 2014

Glen Caravans (opposite the Cuttings) - if there's a few of you, then a static will work out cheap.
Pete Dangerous - on 02 Sep 2014
Yeah, Glens Caravans is very cheap. You can get one for the night for about 30-35 I think with shower and hot water/cooking facilities in most. sometimes they don't allow people to stay for just one night. It depends how busy they are. There is also a car park down a muddy track almost opposite the caravan park where friends have spent the night before.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.540588,-2.430391,3a,75y,19.83h,68.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFLA1Pq26...

You probably approach from the direction the pic is facing. Glens Caravan entrance is to the left as you can see it, just a few meters past the road turning and the entrance on the right of the picture is where the car park is. There are a couple of these tracks, you just need to find the right one.
Post edited at 13:47
Helen Heanes - on 02 Sep 2014
It may also be worth trying theYHA in Fortuneswell. They do allow some camping as well.
I think it is on Castle Road (second left by. Victoria Gardens, before the one way system)
H

Albachoss - on 02 Sep 2014
In reply to lewismansell: The car-park for the Cuttings was fine for a van for two days.
ads.ukclimbing.com
John Alcock - on 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Albachoss:

I often sleep in the car, either in the car park near Portland Castle or more recently in the quarry car park opposite the approach to Neddyfields/Godnot.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

My Forums