UKC

Oleg Kuznetsov Singh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DougG 15 Sep 2004
From the Daily Record earlier this month. The mind boggles...

SINGH WHEN YOU'RE WINNING, OLEG Sep 6 2004
The Kuznetsov Kid
By Mark Mcgivern

IN a world increasingly populated by young Scottish Henriks and English Waynes, spare a thought for Oleg Kuznetsov Singh.
The 10-year-old Rangers fan was paraded as the club mascot for their recent game against Hibs.
Some youngsters hold their heads high in the playground, knowing their monikers were inspired by the feats of greats such as Henrik Larsson or Rangers' Brian Laudrup.
But young Oleg has to explain he was named after an injury-plagued Ukrainian who scored once for Rangers in five years, during which he played only 35 times.
It was that goal,against Celtic in a 4-2 victory just over 10 years ago, which sealed Oleg's fate.
His dad Satty, owner of Mr Singh's curry house in Glasgow - a favourite of Old Firm stars - swore his boy would be named after Kuznetsov.
Satty said: 'It wasa great game and I'm a big Rangers fan, so I made the pledge that my son would be named after the next goalscorer.
'It would always be more likely that someone like Mark Hateley or Ally McCoist would score but this time it was big Oleg.
'Everything has turned out well and Oleg doesn't get any bother for it. He just gets referred to as wee Oleg, which quite suits him once you get used to it.'
In any case, Oleg couldn't have the name Mark.
His older brother was named after winger Mark Walters after a similar pact by his dad five years earlier.

Removed User 15 Sep 2004
In reply to DougG:
Apparaently there was consternation in the Catholic community around confirmation time that someone had in fact located a St.Bobo !!!
 lummox 15 Sep 2004
In reply to DougG: that`s an absolutely fantastic name. Shame he is named after a dirty Hun.
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to DougG) that`s an absolutely fantastic name. Shame he is named after a dirty Hun.

Nah not a hun, Noleg was a ruskie. Now Mikhailichenko he was a player.
OP DougG 15 Sep 2004
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

> Nah not a hun, Noleg was a ruskie. Now Mikhailichenko he was a player.

Ukrainians, not Russkies.

I remember standing in the Jungle at Parkhead in 1986, for a European Cup Match - Celtic v Dynamo Kiev. Kiev arrived on the pitch to be greeted by a chorus of "Dirty Orange Bastards" at which point someone pointed out that Western Ukrainians, if religiously inclined, were more likely to be Kaffliks. So the chant changed instantaneously to "Dirty Commie Bastards".

OP DougG 15 Sep 2004
In reply to DougG:

Incidentally, that was the game when Kuznetsov (for it is he) ended Tommy Burns career with a shocker of a tackle, happened about 20 yards from where I was stood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...