UKC

BMC Midlands Debate and Slide show by Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Charles Gameson 15 Sep 2004
Now don't all cheer at once the BMC Midlands Area Meeting isn't happening on the 23rd of September.

That's because we have replaced it with an open debate and slide show by Andy Kirkpatrick. (See below for comments from climbers who have been to see Andy)

At our open meeting held in the East Midlands last year we had 80 people attend! Now its the turn of the West Midlands and this is your chance to give your views to the BMC.

The debate will be looking at the 'State of British Climbing' and are backed up by a series of articles over the next 3 issues of Summit magazine. The overall objective is get people thinking (and taking action) about the main issues facing British climbing today - the issues which climbers are really bothered about - bolts and deteriorating fixed gear, vegetated/redundant crags, guidebooks, access problems etc.

Comments from other shows Andy has given:

“Arguably the UK's most entertaining mountaineering speaker, Andy talks vividly about his climbing experiences. Expect to hear tales of woe and hardship from the frozen hell of winter Patagonian peaks to the baking granite faces of Yosemite Valley. Often attempting to downplay his climbing achievements, Andy likes to play the role of enthusiastic amateur, however his achievements rank him alongside the UK's most accomplished climbers.”

“Andy Kirkpatrick was the final speaker after the interval. To be quite frank, he's mad. Absolutely barking. He was extremely animated, obviously loved was he was doing and....his slides were in the wrong order. This just added to the entertainment of the evening though and made the whole event seem a little more human.”

“He was constantly joking about climbers being "hard" and the like and seemed to make his pastime/career seem somehow less superhuman to the rest of us....this was of course, until we saw the slides of him hanging precariously off a 3,000 meter wall of granite in Patagonia during the winter, which was the basis of his presentation.”

“His presentation was thoroughly entertaining all the way through and had numerous related stories above and beyond the trip he was presenting that really added to the occasion. He came across as being mad/human/superhuman all in one hit, which is quite an achievement!”

“I can thoroughly recommend any of you to go to the remaining lectures, even if you have absolutely no interest in climbing whatsoever. What you end up with is an entertaining and enthralling insight in to a different world of different ambitions hopes and dreams but with a definite human side to which you can relate. It is, at every point, entertaining. Andy Kirkpatrick even managed to make the thought of dying from hypothermia seem amusing (quite how, I've still not worked out, but it was!). I had a great time, even when Kenton said "yes you are rather small aren't you" (further details NOT available as I've now developed a height complex) much to the mirth of the bystanders”

“Just to echo the thoughts of the article, as I was also present last night. Great blend of speakers, some amazing photo's, and Andy Kirkpatrick is absorbing: funny, irreverent and - through the use of great sound effects - able to really give you a feel of what it's like hanging on a 2,500m face, whilst 125 mph winds whistle past...well worth the money on his own.”

“A select group (including some self-styled 'Andy groupies' - Eilidh and Christie...) attended a lecture at Tiso's in Leith by Andy Kirkpatrick (one of Britain's leading climbers). Andy doesn't just take the stage, he somehow manages to grab hold of the entire room and pull it into a different world where abseiling off a north face with only one boot and shivering through Alpine winter nights is quite normal and almost fun. Andy is a natural showman (not that you'd know it looking at him). His combination of relaxed, curiously wired, brilliantly-timed cracks, phenomenally dramatic shots of Alpine winter climbing epics and terrifyingly realistic wind impressions, effortlessly captures the audience. Andy is so amusing and entertaining that it's easy to forget just how desperate and dangerous the experiences he is describing must have been.”

“The Town Mill Theatre was well filled on 25th March for Andy Kirkpatrick’s slide presentation. His off-the-wall description of his summit aspirations and candid admission of unpreparedness, disorganisation and foolhardiness was a comfort to us all. The enigmatic slide of Footie players in the French café game was a touch of presentational genius since Andy never referred to or explained it. How to hold an audience - lesson one!”

The venue is the Rockface 23rd September 7.30 pm - tell your friends.
http://www.rockface.co.uk/rockface-directions.asp

Regards

Charles Gameson
BMC Midlands Area Secretary
 john horscroft 22 Sep 2004
In reply to Charles Gameson:

Yeah, should be a great night Charles! Shame I can't make it to see Mr Kirkpatrick performing his usual linguistic firework display. Take my advice, get to this meeting if you can - it'll be a good 'un............

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...