UKC

Dublin to Donegal...Route Advice ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jonno 20 Sep 2004
Any Irish contributors care to offer me some advice on the best route from Dublin Ferry Terminal to Donegal...Dunlewy.
I understand there is considerable traffic congestion in the city at the moment due to a new tunnel being built.
How long will it take...3..4..5 hours ?

cheers
 Dave Flanagan 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno:
Through the north I would think (Omagh-Strabane-Letterkenny). Not sure the best way out of Dublin.
4 hours would be good I'd say. Going up Errigal?
Jonno 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Dave Flanagan:
> . Going up Errigal?>

Staying in the hostel under Errigal although we're planning to climb in the Poisoned Glen.
Thanks for the advice.

StefanP 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno:
Come out of the Ferry Terminal and follow signs for M1/M50(North). When you get to the M50 interchange, follow signs for N2 which will take you Northwest. Best to follow a route that takes you through Northern Ireland if possible because the roads around Dublin are pretty good, but further up the country they do still deteriorate. Traffic coming out of the city is not too bad depending on the time, at rush hour it is horrendous however.
belfast_mark 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno:

Try http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/ for good detailed route info.

Clauso 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno:

I'm not exactly sure where Dunlewy is, but I'd say that you're looking at about 4 hours from Dublin to Donegal, maybe close to 5, depending on how far north you're going. If you're heading out on the N2 from the M50, then be sure to have a few euros change for the toll. If you're heading there through Northern Ireland, then fill-up with fuel in the Republic, if necessary, it's cheaper.
 Niall 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Clauso: Dunlewey's near Glenveagh and at the foot of Errigal
 Greenbanks 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno:

Do the trip from UK to NW Ireland regularly.

My advice - fly (Knock or Derry) - unless of course you're a bit restricted cos of other factors.

The Dublin-Donny drive is torture
 denis b 20 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno:

The AA suggestion by Mark is the only one worth following. The N2 out of dublin is a disaster. They have upgraded the M1, which the AA suggest so that you should get out of the city without much difficulty. You wont get to Dunlewy in less than 4 hours (legally) and you can add another hour if you dont clear Dublin by 15.00.
Jonno 20 Sep 2004
In reply to denis b:
> (.. You wont get to Dunlewy in less than 4 hours (legally) and you can add another hour if you dont clear Dublin by 15.00.>

Arriving by ferry at 6pm approx so I don't expect we'll be driving out of the terminal before 7pm.
So.....it looks as if we'll be banging up- if you'll forgive the expression- the poor wardens of the Errigal hostel or sleeping outside in the car !
 denis b 21 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno:

Take your time at ferry. Once you hit the M1 most of the traffic will have eased off. Ring Errigal - they dont have a problem with people arriving late (most do). Hostel abounds in "rustic charm" so all the doors are usually open!! Reckon you'll still make last drinks.
 Frank4short 21 Sep 2004
In reply to Jonno: Unfortunately you'll probably be stuck in traffic getting out of Dublin arriving at that hour of the day. If your ferry is to Dublin port follow th signs for the airport/M1. Once your on the M1 you'll wnat to follow the signs to Derry as far as Omagh. From there you'll be going to strabane and then on to Letterkenny.

Honestly you should be able to do it in about 3 & 1/2 hours from where the M1 starts properly. The AA route guide is your best bet.
 Niall 21 Sep 2004
In reply to Frank4short:

and he'll be glad to know there's something vaguely resembling a road between Glenveagh and Dunlewey now, instead of the old cart-track that it used to be.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...