UKC

life insurance for climbers....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lep 01 Oct 2004
At the risk of sounding old and boring - has anyone found a company that give a competitve deal for people that partake of that 'hazardous activity' known as rock climbing?

I got some good quotes and then filled in the application form and they stuck a huge premium on because I admitted to dabbling in climbing. Not impressed!
OP Anonymous 01 Oct 2004
In reply to lep:

Try Summit - the premium they offered was half of what I'd been quoted elsewhere. They don't weight heavily for climbing (at my grade anyway!)

Brian
 BigMac 01 Oct 2004
In reply to lep:
Norwich Union gave me a quote - depends on how high etc you go - if you go above the "Death Zone" they won't entertain you!

Ian 01 Oct 2004
In reply to lep:
Most will quote you

well, NU, AXA and all the other big players will

if they ask - say you climb in the uk only, and dont do anything above moderate. that should ensure they dont load the premium.

these are important as their rating/grading is based on a perception of danger

if you do climb overseas, then take BMC insurance etc as you need it
lep 07 Oct 2004
Phoned up Summit and they were really helpful. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
 Simon Caldwell 07 Oct 2004
In reply to lep:
I have several life insurance policies (for endowment mortgages) and none of them increased premiums due to my climbing. Norwich Union, Standard Life, and Commercial Union I think. Of course, their policies may have changed since then, but keep shopping around and you'll find something, the market's quite competitive at the moment I think.

The important thing though is to be honest. If you give them untrue information (eg by saying you only do easy stuff in the UK, if you *ever* climb abroad) then the policy is invalidated, whether or not you come to grief while climbing. Not worth the risk.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...