UKC

How OD CAMP3 performance in cold/high altitude environment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
litour 29 Oct 2004
High guys, I'm choosing a compact stove for expedition, OD's camp3 looks perfect. Anybody have experience about this stove under subzero/low pressure conditions? Need your suggestion, thx.
 gear boy 29 Oct 2004
In reply to litour: have used one up to about 3500m(alps summer) usual cold problems, keep canister warm and off cold ground, i use a bit of old foam mat, piezo dont always work well when cold, so carry a lighter, as to how it worked fine, no serious problems, but i did note that you can turn it on too much and it blows itself out with a new canister, the advantage to that was it still works until the canister is basically empty, the valve appears to open alot, so you dont need to turn it on much.
scooterboy 30 Oct 2004
In reply to litour:
i used one in the alps this year at about 3000m the piezo ignition failed . It seemed to be a problem with overheating due to using a heat shield but i got it replaced with no questions asked . It worked well when it did work and it failed probably due to my cackhandedness .id go along with taking a lighter or two in case the ignition gives up though . The stoves got powerful burner and i had no problems in use and didnt think the cold affected it too much at all. if anything the stove is a little unstable when using a small gas canister other than that i'd recommend one . i got mine half price from cotswald outdoor in glasgow which i thinks makes it a real bargin .
Bruce Allmighty 30 Oct 2004
In reply to litour: aren't they really fiddley, japenease and cost around £50. if so what is wrong with a MSR pocket rocket for £30.
litour 01 Nov 2004
Thx alot for above advice.
I think I can try the stove.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...