UKC

Compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hornster 29 Oct 2004
Will a compass bought in the northern hemisphere work in the southern hemisphere? I heard that it won't as compasses in the northern hemisphere are magnetised specifically for the northen hemisphere and vice versa for southern hemisphere compasses.
 Wibble Wibble 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

You're right. Some specific ones (Suunto?) are balanced to work in both though.
Hornster 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Wibble Wibble: Cheers
 KeithW 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

Blimey. I never knew that. This site has its uses after all.

:O
 gear boy 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster: there are 5 different magnetic zones compasses can be calibrated for, or you buy one that will work in all, like sunnto and others make
Hornster 29 Oct 2004
In reply to gear boy: Would that imply that most people would simple have to buy a compass in the country that they intend exploring in? Assuming that they don't want to buy the "all in one compass".
 gear boy 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster: the all in oone compass is not that much different in price to other good compasses(sp)
OP Anonymous 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

> Will a compass bought in the northern hemisphere work in the southern hemisphere? I heard that it won't as compasses in the northern hemisphere are magnetised specifically for the northen hemisphere and vice versa for southern hemisphere compasses.

The issue is the magnetic dip: in one hemisphere (can't remember which is which), the north end of the needle points slightly upwards; in the other downwards. So the needles can be balanced for one or the other.

In practice: I have used the same Silva Type 3 compass both in Europe and in Australia, and it works fine. You maybe have to tilt the baseplate a bit, but no big deal. You would probably have a problem if your compass had a bubble in it though, as seems to happens when they get old. In that case, tilting the base plate would cause the bubble to interfere with the needle and it would be a fiddly business getting a stable reading.
Johno 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

Funny that, I was planning to ask just that question on here myself today!
Johno 29 Oct 2004
In reply to Hornster:

Funny that, I was planning to ask just that question on here myself today!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...