UKC

Hats off to Ben "Froggatt" Heason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon 27 Jan 2002
Just heard that man Ben has done it again on Froggatt.

After doing Onsight: Jugged Hare E6 6a/b, Hary Heart E6 6a
Headpointick Van Dyke Goes Ballistic E7 6b - probably 2nd ascnt Art Brut E7 6b(probable 2nd ascent), Bud E7 6c possible 3rd ascent, Renegade Master (solo) E8 6c - Possible 3rd solo....

...Bens done another new route to sit alonside Bonfire Sloper E7 6b and Chin grinder E6 6c on the buttress in the Froggatt woods, he's done Ozbound E8 7a on the boulder below the pinnicle and first onsight ascent (without the pre placed runner of Better Dead Than Smegg, E6 6c - a direct start to Brightside.

All this and a few others including Mood maddness E8 6c, End Of The Affair, E8 6c, Angel's Share, E8 7a, Feeding The Pony, E8 7a, Jumping On A Beetle, E7 6c, Toy Boy E7 7a, and a more including some tasty problems at The Froggatt Tombstone.......

Has anyone ever climbed as many hard routes at Froggatt/ in the Peak even? I doubt it?

I think the guy deserves a mention for an extremely impressive C.V!

Cheers

Si
JP 27 Jan 2002
In reply to Simon:

Yeah but what's he ever done at Stanage?
Chris D 27 Jan 2002
In reply to Simon:
Also Moon Madness was onsight/flash, as was jumping on a beetle and deathwatch (E7) and desperate dan (E6) and slackers (E6). Some strong climbers have tried ben's new froggatt route and hard E9 seemed to be the consensus! Modest as ever! Nice one Ben!
 sutty 27 Jan 2002
In reply to JP: probably quite a lot, but I think he is writing the Froggat guide so that is what he is working at the moment.
 Horse 27 Jan 2002
In reply to Chris D:

Suitably impressed and good to see that at least someone is still pushing the boat out on bleedin edge bold routes in good style.
almost sane 27 Jan 2002
In reply to Simon:
Congrats indeed to Ben H.
Dom Orsler 29 Jan 2002
I was at Uni with Ben (Birmingham) back in 95, just as I was starting climbing. He'd already been at it quite a while, and was a bloody good climber, even then. I think he was knocking off stuff around the E5 mark back then (on average). I remember his contentious decision to 'jack it all in and become a full time climber' getting a mixed reception among the Uni egos, and you couldn't help but wonder whether or not a good degree from a good Uni was being 'wasted'. For the record, I didn't think it was.

So, three things in conclusion;

Firstly, it goes to show how much skill, effort and bloody hard work is required to climb consistently at the E8-E9 level.

Secondly, it's great to see Ben succeed and provide an unequivocal answer to some of his doubters 'back in the day'.

Thirdly, Ben, if you read this, drop me an e-mail; I now live near Calgary and you are more than welcome to come and stay to show the local boys here how it's done back in the peak.
 Michael Ryan 29 Jan 2002
In reply to Dom Orsler:

Ben's getting that famous for his achievements they are even being reported in the US climbing media.

Good on ya' lad.

Mick R
Dom Orsler 29 Jan 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Perhaps not quite, just yet - I just like to keep my eye in at UKClimbing.com and go all bleary eyed looking at shots of people on grit.

Mind you, a lot of very good climbers in the Calgary area now know all about Ben, whereas previously I'm not sure they would.
Dom Orsler 29 Jan 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Oh, and I forgot to say, SHAME ON YOU for presuming that I, living in Canada, might have heard about Ben from US climbing media. We do have our own climbing media, eh?
StuT 30 Jan 2002
In reply to Dom Orsler: Good going Ben, will he be the first climber to climb all the routes at Froggatt?

Big Ron must have done a few.

Stu
Dave 30 Jan 2002
In reply to StuT: just out of interest, does anyone know what his remaining 10 routes are??? i guess Sole Doubt and Slingshot are a couple of them but what about the rest??
 Jon Read 30 Jan 2002
In reply to Dave:
I'd have a guess that Cock Robin and Strappotente are in the hit list, though could be wrong...
 Adam Lincoln 30 Jan 2002
In reply to Simon:
Ozbound has now been wrote up as E9 7a for those interested in a repeat
Chris D 30 Jan 2002
In reply to Simon:
He hasn't done Strapadictomy yet believe it or not or Beau Geste or Sole doubt!
whispering nic 30 Jan 2002
In reply to Simon: wot's strapottente then? I've been exiled in bonny Scotland for a while so I've lost track of these fillers in
 Graeme 31 Jan 2002
In reply to whispering nic: I think its a route that basically mantels the lip of the roof to the right(?) of strapadictomy.
Chris D 31 Jan 2002
In reply to Graeme:
Ay its a Seb Grieve Route (E7 7a)!
Readza 31 Jan 2002
In reply to Chris D:
Strappotente take the roof mantel right again of Cock robin (itself just right of Strapadictomy, on the front face).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...