UKC

Lightest fully waterproof climbing jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shane 02 Nov 2004
Simple one but I'm having an 'ell of a job picking one. Any suggestions. Must be fully waterproof, light and compressible.

Shane.
brumm climber 02 Nov 2004
In reply to shane: Marmot Precip!
 Dave Stelmach 02 Nov 2004
In reply to shane: Canoeing dry-bag
In reply to Dave Stelmach: What??
In reply to Dave Stelmach:
> (In reply to shane) Canoeing dry-bag

Are you always so helpful?

Hornster 02 Nov 2004
In reply to shane: Mountain Equipment Firefly
 HeMa 02 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:
My suggestion would be Haglöfs Lim Ultimate, about 270grm for size M (or was it L, can't remember). Great hood and much better cut than on Marmot Precip (anorak, as it is lighter than the jacket which is around 320grm for M size) and propably better also than on Lowe Alpine Rush (or Atom or what ever it is now called).

Then again Arc'Teryx Sirrus Sl is also quite light (sub 300grm me thinks) and the cut is suberb.

Why not surf to www.planetfear.com and search there for Andy Kirkpatricks Equipmentnotes (should be online and had all the best lightweight waterproof alpineshells).
In reply to brumm climber: Just how many hotmail accounts are you allowed to have?
In reply to Dave Stelmach: What does that have to do with lightweight jackets?
In reply to Dave Stelmach: To elaborate: a 'fully waterproof' jacket would include jackets suitable for kayaking. They have a tight-fitting rubber neck and wrist bands, lightweight proofed nylon fabric (or XCR), very light and compressible. They also allow for a full range of arm movement.
In reply to Dave Stelmach: So they wouldn't be a "dry-bag" then would they?

Probably be a jacket or cag of some description!
Dave Hunter 02 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:

Montane do the lightest waterproof. Its name escapes me.
 Cordy 02 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:

That would be the 180 smock from Montane I think. The name says it all... (in case you're confused i mean it weighs 180g!) Fully waterproof, teeny tiny and light and packable as you like.

C
OP shane 03 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:

Thanks to all who replied. Off to buy one now!!

PS Why would I want to have a kayaking jacket when I'm logged onto a climbing site?!?!?!? Some people are craaazy man.
Brummy Climber 03 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:

> PS Why would I want to have a kayaking jacket when I'm logged onto a climbing site?!?!?!? Some people are craaazy man.

That's 'Crazy' Stelmach for you!
 Norrie Muir 03 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:
> PS Why would I want to have a kayaking jacket when I'm logged onto a climbing site?!?!?!? Some people are craaazy man.

Dear shane

If, you do decide to buy a kayaking jacket, you could try: Topic - Canoe Cag.,
by - dragon on - 27 Oct 2004
Wave Rebel canoe cag; worn once only. size med 38" : £8.00 . That was posted on this site.

Norrie

PS Mind you it would be better buying a jacket for the hill.

Stuart Robinson 03 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:

Because Kayaking jackets are rather good for climbing in wet places, melting waterfalls etc. I have worn a kayak jacket for this in the past, bit sweaty but at least you dont get a stream of water running thru your jacket since the arm and neck seals are fairly water tight.

The arms are usually better articulated that the average climbing jacket too.

Stuart Robinson 03 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:

Oh and you did ask for a 'fully waterproof' jacket which sort of implies very good seals on arms, neck and body ......
Bothermere 03 Nov 2004
In reply to Stuart Robinson:
> Oh and you did ask for a 'fully waterproof' jacket which sort of implies very good seals on arms, neck and body ......

Still no such thing, as the waist seal always leaks, only option is a drysuit!
almost sane 03 Nov 2004
In reply to shane:
For fully waterfroof, lightweight, and cheap, wrap yourself in clingfilm.

For not so waterproof, but still light and cheap, buy a simple smock from Outdoor Scene. Not as breathable as some, but at £17 you don't mind so much if it gets ripped.
 vscott 03 Nov 2004
In reply to Dave Hunter: what do you think of these- seem very good value?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...