UKC

kilnsey v raven tor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AndiT 03 Nov 2004
Do any of you remember reading this article a few years ago. I would be interested in seeing it now, but don't know which magazine it was published in or what issue? Any help would be of great use and obviously confirm your extreme general knowledge on climbing trivia.

I gracefully bow down to whom can answer this question for me!

Andi
 Tyler 03 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:

It was Malham vs Raven Tor, in OTE round about issue 30 (I think it was Twid on the front cover climbing Barbarossa at Gogarth). Mark Pretty wrote about the Snor and Ian Dunn wrote for Malahm, it also was remarkable for featuring the only funny climbing cartoon I've seen (written by Alan James in a former incarnation as Pockets)
 Michael Ryan 03 Nov 2004
In reply to Tyler:

and commissioned by Mick Ryan, contributing editor at the time
AndiT 03 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:

Thankyou, you are both most wise and gracious.
 Tyler 03 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:

Or old and anal! I've just checked it was issue 24 but I was right about the cover. Do you want to know who won?
In reply to Tyler:
> it also was remarkable for featuring the only funny climbing cartoon I've seen (written by Alan James in a former incarnation as Pockets)

Bleedin' Bivi Ledges on this page - http://www.rockfax.com/publications/pokketz.html
AndiT 03 Nov 2004
In reply to Tyler:

Aye please! But I was actually more interested in the way it was written. I have copies of almost all the editions including all from issue 1 to 23 then from 25 to 49 and then only a few others missing in between. That's sods law for you. I am doing a similar article soon, and was hoping for some inspiration! Oh well, will just have to try to be original and forget about my plageristic student days.
 Tom Briggs 04 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> I am doing a similar article soon, and was hoping for some inspiration!

LOL! No contest - I'd give my right arm to have Kilnsey or Malham in the Peak instead of Raven Tor.

sutty 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

If you gave your right arm to have them near you how would you climb them?
Yorkspud 04 Nov 2004
In reply to sutty:

he'd be better off going to Giggleswick and doing 'The sound of One Hand clapping'.....sorry.
 Nj 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Yorkspud: "...one hand slapping" actually.
Sorry, I am a nerd
 Michael Ryan 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to sutty)
>
> he'd be better off going to Giggleswick and doing 'The sound of One Hand clapping'.....sorry.

Great route.

Mick

Andy Farnell 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan: Who was it did the FA Mick ?

Andy F

xyz 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Thanks for that link Niff, I haven't had such a good laugh over lunch for a while.

Lee
 Michael Ryan 04 Nov 2004
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan) Who was it did the FA Mick ?
>
> Andy F

Some Limey bastard.

From the ground-up of course, bolting on the lead.....using threads.

And then he had the audicity to stick a bolt-on-hold above the belay (and on the belay).

I know Tim Clifford that wee youngster has been trying to finish it to the top of the cliff.

Great route, short and steep and gymnastic.

mick

Yorkspud 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Nj:

Doh!
 Fiend 04 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:

> I am doing a similar article soon, and was hoping for some inspiration!

Let me guess, it will be something as revolutionary and cutting edge as "Eastern Grit vs. Western Grit" or "Yorkshire bouldering vs. Peak bouldering"...

Clare 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:

what about writing something yourself Fiend?
 Michael Ryan 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to AndiT)
>
> [...]
>
> Let me guess, it will be something as revolutionary and cutting edge as "Eastern Grit vs. Western Grit" or "Yorkshire bouldering vs. Peak bouldering"...

Are an ass Fiend or an arse?
 Tyler 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan:
> (In reply to Fiend)
> [...]
>
> Are an ass Fiend or an arse?

Nope, been looking for a while and it still doesn't make sense?
Simon Panton 04 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend: I was hoping for Cadshaw vs Denham, or on a more grand scale, how about Anglezarke vs Wilton 3?

(Only joking Andi, I actually liked the original Raven Tor vs Malham article)

Mick, please clarify - it don't make any sense wot u rote.
 Fiend 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare:

I did, I offered them the NZ article. They weren't interested as they had some chum doing an ever-trendy Castle Hill-only article a few months later. Hmmm great.

(As a tangent: Of course you're clever enough to know that you don't have to write articles to make comments on them - you only need an idea what's interesting/useful as a reader.)

In reply to Pantontino:

Errrr, Denham - no contest, Cadshaw is in a shocking state. As for the big boys, it would have to be the Zarke despite W3's popularity - it just has a lot more to go at.

LOL =).
 Andy Farnell 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:
>
>
> In reply to Pantontino:
>
> Errrr, Denham - no contest, Cadshaw is in a shocking state. As for the big boys, it would have to be the Zarke despite W3's popularity - it just has a lot more to go at.
>

How's about a Zarke vs Wilton 2 (a much fairer contest) or Wilton 1 vs Houghton

Andy F
AndiT 05 Nov 2004
From what I've heard the great thing about the article was that neither of them could believe that the other thought 'their crag' was better!

It would be good to hear some other arguments, I'd say almost any of the good crags in the U.K. seem to have some sort of arch rival elsewhere. Malham v Raven Tor, Slipstones v Callerhues, The Churnet Valley v Southern Sandstone

I'd probably vote for Malham anyway, despite the tourists, the polished rock and the walk in. Stick Body Machine on Malham and there would be no contest! But then again...
 Bob 05 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:

<guffaw>and the walk in</guffaw>

Bob
 Fiend 05 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:

I notice you're not denying that it could be East vs. West or Peaks vs. Yorks!!

In reply to AndyF:

The Zarke again, no contest, as W2 is lacking in good easy-mid-grade stuff.

W2&3 vs Zarke? Hmmmm that's probably a bit too much...
 Clare 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to Clare)

>
> (As a tangent: Of course you're clever enough to know that you don't have to write articles to make comments on them - you only need an idea what's interesting/useful as a reader.)
>
no, just thought that perhaps you should do more article writing. No dig intended (for once!)

Michael Ryan 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to AndiT)
>
> I notice you're not denying that it could be East vs. West or Peaks vs. Yorks!!

STFU you plonker Fiend. What do you think you are some kind of rocket scientist.

It ain't rocket science.

Now go and paint one of your figurines, write some tormented entry on your blog, or go and do something really useful like man the phones at the Good Samaritans.

Mick
 Fiend 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan:

Miserable scrote!
 Michael Ryan 05 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan)
>
> Miserable scrote!

It wasn't me who was trying to be a clever dick and being all smug and superior to the original poster, now was it lovely?

If you want publishing Fiend, which you do, give it some more thought with that everpulsating superior brain of yours.

Mick

AndiT 06 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:
>
> I notice you're not denying that it could be East vs. West or Peaks vs. Yorks!!

Your intuition astounds me!?!

I've already posted on the boudering forum what it will be about, it's no secret. If you're quick you could write it before me! Good luck.

I've got hold of a copy of the article now and I agree that the cartoon is pretty funny, I like Simon in the background with his pint! Cheers.
 Fiend 06 Nov 2004
In reply to AndiT:

Have you? I didn't see...
 Michael Ryan 06 Nov 2004
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to AndiT)
>
> Have you? I didn't see...

Your clarity of vision isn't a strong point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...