UKC

Bamford Edge - Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Nov 2004
Who owns Bamford Moor?

Bamford Moor is in the private ownership of Mr Jeremy Archdale of Moscar lodge. It is a classic example of a well maintained grouse moor, and is managed for sporting and wildlife interests. Although the Moor is mapped as open access under the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW) Act (2000), this does not preclude the need to respect someone else's property and interest. It is particularly important to avoid damage to walls, fences, and all ground nesting birds and their nest sites.

What are climbers' rights of access to the Edge?

Under CRoW, which in the Peak was 'rolled out' in September 2004, there is now statutory right of access to the Edge. However, you should use only the agreed access points to gain admission to the moor (see below). Do not attempt to access the Moor or the Edge except by these points.

The landowner has a right to close the Moor, or any part of it, for up to 28 days in any year (excluding bank holidays, summer weekends or more than four weekend days outside the summer period) for a variety of purposes. Closures will be posted on the Countryside Agency website www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk and on 0845 100 3298.

There are additional Restrictions at Bamford Edge in respect of dogs because the Moor is a grouse moor. Dogs, whether or not they are on a lead, are banned at all times. This ban will be reviewed in October 2009.

The whole of Bamford Moor is part of the Eastern Moors Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), a designation that has been made because of the assemblage of breeding moorland birds. Under the CRoW Act, the Access Authority can close the Moor (and Edge) altogether on the advice of English Nature if the integrity of the SSSI is threatened, for example by a sudden increase in human traffic. Disturbance to wild birds and their nests also constitutes an offence under the Countryside and Wildlife Act (1981).
If you trash the place, climbing will be banned.

What are the negotiated access agreements?

You can reach Bamford Moor across Moscar, from Heatsherdene car park, or from Cut Throat Bridge (but beware because the large lay-by on the Sheffield side of Cut Throat is a hot spot for car crime). The only practical access point for climbing on the Edge is from the New Road, which runs from the Yorkshire Bridge Inn to the Dennis Knoll area of Stanage. There is only one access point on this road, at SK 216839 (near the top of Leeside Road / Bamford Clough). The Edge is accessed via a sunken trackway, running broadly northwest. It is important not to attempt access from any other point on the New Road. This means that access notes in old guidebooks that suggest scrambling over a fence, or an iron gate, lower down New Road are now wrong.

This access agreement was negotiated by the Access Authority, the landowner and the BMC, and has been endorsed by the Local Access Forum. It was agreed to protect the landscape from vertical erosion and scarring, and in the interests of road safety. It emphatically does not imply any denial of statutory access rights. We do have rights, thanks to CRoW, but we also have responsibilities.

Henry Folkard and Bunny McCullough
BMC Peak Access Team
3 November 2005.
J2 05 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for posting that to add clarity

A big thanks also to all who played a part in opening up this crag to wider access, its a good crag with lots for everyone, TY
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks as well. Will you be adding this to the BMC access database, as this is what I normally base my access queries on, and for Bamford none of the above info is there.
 GrahamD 05 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:

Very well put. Could the BMC run to a couple of notices (if it hasn't already done so) attached to the 'traditional' access points directing people up the road ?
graham lynch 05 Nov 2004
In reply to S i'm on & on:
Your comment is not (strictly) true - the essential detail on access to Bamford was on RAD, and general info on the CRoW Act is on the BMC website. However, I have added the detailed description of the access route, and clarified the dogs situation. The SSSI info does form part of RAD but not the publicly displayed part, I intend to amend this in a forthcoming update of the database.
Thanks to Henry and Bunny for the detailed update, and you Simon for comments/suggestions.

Graham Lynch
BMC Access & Conservation Officer
In reply to graham lynch:

Sorry - should have said "not all the info" is there.

S.
 rc 05 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:
I'm puzzled by this sudden increase in traffic. I've climbed at Bamford a number of times in the past - you just had to ring up beforehand (like eg. Brandrith in Yorkshire). I was never refused access.
Admittedly last time I was there was probably 5 years ago - am I out of date? Has there in fact been a substantial access problem over the last few years? Or are all of the excited new Bamford devotees unable to use a telephone?
It's pretty amazing if that "barrier" was enough to keep it so quiet all those years - seems like a good idea for a number of other places!

It's a nice enough crag, I hope the "craze" passes and the landowner doesn't get chance to become really fed up with us climbers...
 Simon Caldwell 05 Nov 2004
In reply to rc:
I've not noticed any increase in traffic, when I went last year it was always busy, and it is now. The main advantage of the CRoW is that access will now be possible year round, not just from October to March.
graham lynch 05 Nov 2004
In reply to S i'm on & on:
No worries - just didn't want everyone to think we get it ALL wrong
See you at Bamford some time.

Graham
 Tim Waterhouse 05 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News:

>Henry Folkard and Bunny McCullough
>BMC Peak Access Team
>3 November 2005.

Thanks for nipping back in time and letting us know.

Cheers,
Tim
In reply to rc:
> Admittedly last time I was there was probably 5 years ago - am I out of date? Has there in fact been a substantial access problem over the last few years? Or are all of the excited new Bamford devotees unable to use a telephone?

Since Peak Gritstone East was published it has got very busy. Now with CRoW it hgas got busier still.
phil 09 Nov 2004
In reply to UKC News: It has got much more popular since the Rockfax guidebook was published. It's a good crag, but not as good as it looks from the road, and it makes a nice change if you are local. But the increase in traffic has led to an increase in car theft/vandalism on a quiet stretch of road. It is definitely worth a visit but look after your posessions.
Dave Collier 11 Nov 2004
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Very well put. Could the BMC run to a couple of notices (if it hasn't already done so) attached to the 'traditional' access points directing people up the road ?

So what about it? Not many people know this and I certainly didn't last time I climbed over the fence at the traditional access point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...