UKC

BMC - Yorkshire Area Committee AGM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Manns 16 Nov 2004
The impending Yorkshire Area AGM couldn't be more important. Both the Chair and Secretary are standing down and it is imperative Yorkshire climbers turn out in force to support their area meeting. Mark Radtke has expressed a strong interest in the position of Chair but will be unable to attend the AGM. Yorkshire both needs and deserves a well attended meeting and with Mark's help, we will get one. However, he needs a secretary and a team of willing volunteers to make the whole thing go with a swing. So make sure you turn out on the night, support Mark in his absence, have your say and ensure that the Yorkshire Area is fully represented from now on.

Meeting to be held at The Leeds Wall on Monday 22nd November 7pm. Jon Garside will attend from The BMC.

Click the link below for Minutes /Agendas & directions to venue -

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/thebmc/areacom/area_meetings.asp?area_drop=4
 Michael Ryan 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

Seems to be an error with the link!

M
Simon Manns 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan:
It was the BMC website which was having a problem and is now fixed.
graeme alderson 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns: We are not having Mick Ryan as an absentee Area Secretary though
 Michael Ryan 16 Nov 2004
In reply to graeme alderson:

It's a conspiracy to counter those who have gone over, to quote Radster, to the DARK SIDE.

M
 richardh 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

Do you have to be a member to attend, or is it just, as the title suggests "A Committee Meeting" ? i.e. committee only?
Simon Manns 16 Nov 2004
In reply to richardh:

The meetings are generally open to all, members and non. If you wish to attend let me know and I will let the area secretary know your coming.
Mark Wood 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

It's a pity that evening clashes with the Alan Hinkes lecture in Leeds.
In reply to Mick Ryan: If we allowed absentee chairs or secrataries we could have you in the Yorks area, Strappo as North West Chair, Crusher as Peak Secretary. Where would it stop?
 Michael Ryan 16 Nov 2004
> (In reply to Mick Ryan) .........Strappo as North West Chair, Crusher as Peak Secretary.

Yeah but those two are as mad as hatters.
Simon Manns 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Mark Wood:
I've sent his apologies to the committee
In reply to Mick Ryan: So? Surely that is a qualification for the job.
 richardh 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

cheers, but I'm booked up that night, I'll keep an eye open for the next one and try to get there.
Simon Manns 16 Nov 2004
In reply to richardh:

Send me your e-mail address and i'll keep you informed of dates etc.
 HC~F 16 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns: I'm going. I'm doing my best to persuade others to join me...

Is there food?!
 sutty 17 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

For goodness sake put some food on or Helen will turn you into a burger and eat you
 HC~F 17 Nov 2004
In reply to sutty: I was actually asking as it would be a 'carrot' to lure other people to come along perhaps, I'm going anyway :oP.
(They do good chip butties downstairs so that's ok).
Simon Manns 17 Nov 2004
In reply to helen taylor:

The more the better!! If you want to receive Agendas /Minutes let me have your e-mail.
 john horscroft 17 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

Some of the items for discussion will include the time and venue for future meetings, (so we may be able to avoid clashes in the future), and the continuing Yorkshire bolt debate. It's gonna be fun..............

JH
 HC~F 17 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns: Is that a no on the food then?!
Simon Manns 17 Nov 2004

If I was going to be there I would make you some butties myself Helen but........................
 john horscroft 17 Nov 2004
Do I spot a little bit of an obsession here Helen? One that I whole-heartedly share of course. We'll form a new faction at this meeting henceforth known as the Foody Tendency. First item for attention, Scooby snacks at every meeting...............
 john horscroft 18 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

Come on Yorkshire, yer shrinking violets! More topics for discussion please......................
 john horscroft 21 Nov 2004
In reply to all:

Right you shrinking violets, last chance to put your marker down for tomorrow nights Area Meeting. Who's coming, what we going to talk about etc etc..........
 gingerkate 21 Nov 2004
In reply to john horscroft:
Eh up, does this mean you're coming to the yorkshire meeting?
I will be there.

gingerkate 21 Nov 2004
In reply to john horscroft:
Hey, does Simon's bit above mean that Mark is volunteering to be chair? Excellente! (If so).
 HC~F 21 Nov 2004
In reply to john horscroft: I'm coming. I propose to talk about food, seeing as nobody else will... .
 HC~F 21 Nov 2004
In reply to john horscroft: Oh, and I'm dragging a few others with me so I don't get really shy as I won't know anyone.
Apart from Kate .
 gingerkate 21 Nov 2004
As I recall you are dragging me as well... :oS

BTW Does anyone here have any views on where the meetings should be held? Because I think there's not a cat in hell's chance of gettting yorkshire area thriving like the peak one is unless we switch to meeting in a pub. I mean, I love leeds wall... for climbing... but for a meeting you want warmth, beer, chips...

But I know some people find it a convenient venue. I'd rather have less convenience and more warmth... and beer... and chips... and above all, people... but then I have a car, so it's easy for me to consider those the priorities.
 gingerkate 21 Nov 2004
ps You'll recognise some faces from the retro-bolt meeting. And maybe you know Angela Soper from there or from the wall?
Kipper 21 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:
>
> Hey, does Simon's bit above mean that Mark is volunteering to be chair? Excellente! (If so).

There's still an opening for a keen Secretary

gingerkate 21 Nov 2004
In reply to Kipper:
Bit of a drive for you though?
Kipper 21 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:
>
> Bit of a drive for you though?

Nothing's too much trouble for the one true cause.

Dave Collier 21 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

I'm afraid Monday is my climbing night - at Leeds Wall.
 Michael Ryan 22 Nov 2004
In reply to Dave Collier:

I'm thinking of coming.

Mick
Kipper 22 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan:
>
> I'm thinking of coming.
>

That's the spirit!
Mike Raine 22 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

I can't come and I'mmoving to North Wales in January so I wish you all well.

Mike Raine
 gingerkate 22 Nov 2004
In reply to Kipper and Mick:
Well where were you two then?

In your absence (and his absence) we've elected Mark Radke as chair <wooo hooo>, and we've elected Helen to do access for grit, and Robin is going to keep helping with it in teh transition period. And I'm going to be walls rep. Alex Lawrence is going to continue as acting secretary for the time being, until someone can be found to take that on.

Mark Wood 22 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:

The Alan Hinkes lecture wurs OK too..............

Can't be in two places at once..................
 gingerkate 22 Nov 2004
In reply to Mark Wood:
Yeah, shame it clashed.
Mark Wood 22 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:

It was.

Rather inspiring, if a little bit barking?
 Michael Ryan 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:

> In your absence (and his absence) we've elected Mark Radke as chair

The White Knight on his mighty and swift steed, excalibur in hand, will strike a blow against the forces of darkness.
Kipper 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:
>
> Well where were you two then?
>

My passport had expired. I don't know what Micks excuse is.
 gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Kipper:
That's no excuse, you could've travelled over the border in John's boot. What happened to 'anything for the one true cause', comrade?
 Simon Caldwell 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:
> And I'm going to be walls rep

Congratulations.

Now, how about a wall in York...
graeme alderson 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell: Setting up new walls is not the function of a Walls rep, advising and helping others to do so is.
Serpico 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Mark Wood: How many times did he mention "The death zone"?
 Simon Caldwell 23 Nov 2004
FH 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:

Access on Grit;

I assume by Helen you mean Helen Taylor is the new access area for Yorkshire Gritstone.

Please could you ask her to approach the landowners of Sypeland and negociate access to the crag. Particularly as the Crowe act is coming into force next year and points of access will have to be defined.
 gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:
I'm not sure Helen will take very kindly to being called an access area...

I'm sure she'll see your post.
 gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
Whoa just one minute! 'advising and helping others' set up new walls? If that's my function I'm resigning straight away, how the heck would I be qualified to advise anyone about setting up a wall?! I climb on them, I've no experience of running them! That needs expertise.

From what I gathered the job just entailed communicating between walls and the bmc.

Michael Ryan 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to Kipper and Mick)
> Well where were you two then?
>
> In your absence (and his absence) we've elected ........Helen to do access for grit

Mary Magdellan........no that's wrong......she was a sinner.......Joan Of Arc defending God's rock from over-enthusiastic wire brushers (FH) and selfish litterers, protecting access from grouse-hunting non-believers....making sure the hoardes take the one path to Hugencroft.......lay their pads with care at Brimham.....keeping the noise down at Caley......parking correctly at Almscliff........treading lightly at the Kebbs....

Lay your sacred hands over the pathetic prostrate forms of the little retrobolting dwarves with their grubby beards and hooked noses, stained lycra tights and bolt drills. Send a wooden stake through their cold hard hearts and exorcise the demon. Pray over their corrupt minds with a cruxifix, baptise the sinners with your holy water.

One climbing nation, under god, with climbing justice and freedom to roam for all. Saint Helen upward and onward her golden hair streaming in the cold northern breeze.

What was that OMD song?

If joan of arc
Had a heart
Would she give it as a gift
To such as me
Who longs to see
How an angel ought to be
Her dream’s to give
Her heart away
Like an orphan on a wave
She cared so much
She offered up
Her body to the grave

You go Helen Taylor. Fight the good fight with help from the White Knight, Mark Radster.

What a team! Joined in holy communion, genuflecting before the altar of the grit gods...Don Whillans, Johhny Dawes, Jerry Peel, John Syrett and Al Manson, before doing battle on the moors and dales of Yorkshire.

Godspeed (you white emporer and emporeress) and Godbless

Mick
FH 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan:

sarcastic tw*t!

But I would like to know how she intends to address the access issues in North Yorkshire now the crowe act is about to come in early next year.

For once The BMC have some real muscle againt the estates that won't communictate, I really hope they use it.
 Michael Ryan 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan)

> But I would like to know how she intends to address the access issues in North Yorkshire now the crowe act is about to come in early next year.
>
> For once The BMC have some real muscle againt the estates that won't communictate, I really hope they use it.

Why don't you volunteer to help then?

Bob 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:

What estate is Sypeland on?

Bob
FH 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan:

I may be able to help next year. But some estates never reply to phone messages or e-mails, I've tried before.
FH 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Bob:

My brains gone numb, I keep thinking Swinton but thats slipstones. It'll come to me soon.
 gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:
> I really hope they use it.

Drop it with that 'they'. It's not 'they', it's 'us'. The BMC is not a nanny state, it's a mish mash muddle of concerned climbers.

And I'm not even a member of the BMC.

Offer Helen your support I'm sure she'll be glad of it.
FH 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to FH)
> [...]
>
> Drop it with that 'they'. It's not 'they', it's 'us'. The BMC is not a nanny state, it's a mish mash muddle of concerned climbers.

Who ever they / us are, there is a feeling that "the right to roam" (joke tile in it's self) is going to be the saviour of these places. Look at Huller stones, they planted a few trees there and hay presto it's not covered by the Crowe act!
The BMC reps need to be the driving forces in understanding this act and making the neccessary actions.
The biggest issues are going to be access points and exclusion orders (or whatever they call them).

>
> And I'm not even a member of the BMC.

Does the constitution allow that?

>
> Offer Helen your support I'm sure she'll be glad of it.

I may well be able to offer some time but cann't gurantee anything. She took the job she needs to drive it.

Michael Ryan 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:
> (In reply to gingerkate)
> [...]

> The BMC reps need to be the driving forces in understanding this act and making the neccessary actions.

Indeed, they should have the in-depth knowledge, but if you really value your climbing freedom so should you and you, that's you as in Francis Holland, should stop making excuses and actively help to the best of your ability. Email them now and ask how you can help.

> Does the constitution allow that?

Member or no, it should not exclude anybody willing to help with their time, words, skills or money.

>
> I may well be able to offer some time but can't gurantee anything. She took the job she needs to drive it.

With your help FH.

M

gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:
> Does the constitution allow that?

Almost certainly not

I'm sure you're right about CRoW... I just meant... the lass has only just taken on the job, give her a sec to catch her breath, give her some support for having the guts to take it on, drop her an email with your thoughts, don't treat her like something to shoot down because stuff isn't right, she's a good woman, she'll do her best, she'll do a good job.
 Clare 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:

just been following this in a lurking way... and have just mailed helen to offer my congrats on having the guts to take it on - it sounds like a huge job! And it's making me think that I should make much more effort towards support and upkeep too.

<scuttles off to find out more>
 gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:
And another thing. What will be the end result if you lot consider volunteers as people to yell demands at? Go on, what will the end result be?

I'll tell you. No bloody volunteers. And then what will happen about Spyeland, eh?

Michael Ryan 23 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:

She's also saintly.
 gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare:
We're trying to get yorkshire area thriving, the way the peak is. There's enough people now to make it work. We've got the great leader Rad, we've got Helen, we've got me (trying to do as little as possible). We're hopefully going to see a shift of the meetings to some nice pub north of leeds, which will be warm and have food and beer, we've got the support of John Horscroft who's one of teh prime movers behind turning the peak area meetings around and making tehm really enjoyable events, he'll lend us his expertise re speakers and organisation and stuff. It can be done... what we need is more people involved, because teh more people are involved, the less onerous teh jobs get... the work can be shared out... oh shit I'm late gotta go..
 gingerkate 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Mick Ryan:
oh shut up Mick, you're making me want to bite her ankles
Cambridge 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Manns:

Went to the meeting - very interesting to find out what's going on, the state of play and I found it really good to be able to see some of the people who put a lot of time in behind the scenes which make it possible for us to go climbing. I'm relatively new to climbing and hadn't quite appreciated the history of it, especially in Yorkshire. Cheers guys.

Also agree a nice pub would be a good venue though Kate's catering was more than welcomed

David (Hull)
Simon Manns 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Cambridge: Thankyou for making the effort. If you would like any additional info contact me at The BMC office.
 HC~F 23 Nov 2004
In reply to FH: I know nothing about Sypeland, never heard of it I'm afraid, and it's not one of the crags I got handed paperwork about, but I'll ask some questions and get back to you.

FH 24 Nov 2004
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to FH)
> And another thing. What will be the end result if you lot consider volunteers as people to yell demands at? Go on, what will the end result be?
>
> I'll tell you. No bloody volunteers. And then what will happen about Spyeland, eh?

The same as happens now, we trespass and confront the gamekeepers.

gingerkate 24 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:
If you're happy with the situation as it stands, you wouldn't have posted asking Helen to do something. Ergo, you see a need for access volunteers.
FH 24 Nov 2004
In reply to Bob:

Read it, but not sure what your point is, are you saying "you are flouting the law but good luck to you" or "don't do it it's ileagal"?
 Bob 24 Nov 2004
In reply to FH:

I was about to say something along the lines of "It isn't trespass unless you do damage" but thought I'd better check.

Bob
 Michael Hood 24 Nov 2004
In reply to Bob: I believe it's trespass whether you do damage or not. However trespass is a civil offence and the landowner's recourse is through the courts for "damages".

If you haven't damaged anything or spoiled his livelihood then the "damages" are going to be zero and only a fool with money to burn (let's hope there aren't any vindictive ones out there) would sue somebody to win the case technically but get no financial return from it.

Lawyers out there correct me if the above is wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...